Impulse purchase - 12" pie dish

cocatyOctober 14, 2012

On impulse, I purchased a ceramic pie dish with cover at Sam's. But it's 12". Is that going to be too big to be useful? It will mainly be used for apple pie. Are there any particular issues I'd face in trying to use one that large? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Getting a neat slice out of the pie!
You will have to make at least 1 1/2 times the usual recipe....I have 2 that big and use them for all sorts of stuff....fritatttas, queso dip, cinnamon rolls....as well as for a pie.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 1:42AM
cocaty

All good points I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:24AM
annie1992

Well, at first I thought "how in the world is anyone going to eat that much pie". Then I realized how ridiculous that thought was, LOL.

I agree, though, the only problem I see is making sure you have enough crust and filling for that large a pie, I'm thinking the basic two crust recipe won't be enough, you'll probably need extra crust in addition to extra filling.

Annie

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:25PM
lindac

I mostly use the big pie dish for quiche....and I make a double crust recipe....and it uses almost all....
Enough left for a mini free form apple tart.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 1:00PM
lbpod

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a pie to be too big.
That's just a fact of life. As long as you
keep the ratio of filling to crust, there
can be no possible error.
Pies just disappear,...and THAT is a fact
of life.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 3:39PM
jadeite

I have several 12" pans and use them all the time. As already said, pie can't be too big. A 12" pie is almost twice the volume of a 9" pie. The area of the 12" pan is 113 square inches, a 9" pan is 63.6 square inches. I always double the amount of crust and filling.

The amount of time for baking takes a bit of guesswork. IIRC it takes a little more than a 9" pie, depending on how high you fill it. I use a thermopen and test the filling temperature. When it gets close to 200F, it's done.

Cheryl

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 4:47PM
cocaty

Thank you for all the tips. Think I'll probably keep it. Sounds like it might be useful for several things. Maybe it will mean one apple pie for Thanksgiving instead of two.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 5:58PM
marilyn_sue

I don't have any that big, I did buy a Pyrex pie plate one at a barn sale recently that is 11 inches and I have a 11 3/4 inch pie pan. The measurements are what are stamped on the bottom. I use big pie pans and plates when I take pies to our church meals. I like the big ones.

Sue

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 7:19PM
ruthanna_gw

I have one about 11 1/2" that I use for family chicken pies or sticky buns.

The only problem I have with the size is the top crust of the pie drooping into the filling in the center. After putting the filling into the bottom crust, I place an inverted small Pyrex custard cup in the center and then add the top crust and bake as usual.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 7:39PM
azzalea

And along with the good suggestions above, don't forget, a pie dish is great for making casseroles. I also often grab one to use as a serving dish, too--so you've got a nice, large extra serving container to use in a pinch.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:03AM
publickman

The ratio of the 12" pan to the 9" is 1.7777, and so it is more like 1-3/4 -- half way between 1-1/2 and double. I really wish we were on the metric system so that revising recipes for this type of situation would be so much easier. I have a very old (1970) German cookbook (for which I had to buy metric measuring tools), but most of the recipes were not that good.

I have a 12" pyrex pie pan and almost never use it and especially not for pies - it will not fit in the pie keepers! The last thing I made in it was potatoes au gratin, but it would be good for a frittata as well.

Lars

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 12:20PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

When baking a smaller pie, I set it in the larger dish in case it overflows.

Prefer the big one for making shepherd's pie.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:32PM
jazmynsmom

I have discovered that my good old Lodge cast iron skillet makes a great (deep!) pie dish. I first tried it on pot pies, liked what it did for the crust, and use it for sweet pies too.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:45PM
jasdip

Yum!!! A huge apple pie would be so good right now!!!
Can't have too big of a pie......:)

I like the idea of the cast iron skillet too Jasmynsmom.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 5:34PM
annie1992

Jasmynsmom, that's a very good idea, thanks!

Annie

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 11:55PM
cocaty

All great ideas. Never would have thought of putting smaller pie dish in it for baking overflow. Thanks purpleinopp.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™