Eased edge finish with leathered granite

sudakiFebruary 16, 2013

Would love to hear from those of you that have leathered or brushed granite. What edge treatment did your fabricator use? Polish? Hone? Is it possible to leather an eased edge? Does it matter? Could you share a picture? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpagmom

I have a leathered granite with a honed edge. My fabricator does that standard, but they would do a leathered edge for an additional charge. I don't think it matters because one surface is horizontal and one is vertical so they don't look the same anyway. Here is a picture, but I don't think you can really see the difference in texture.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:06PM
mpagmom

I just looked it up and it would have cost an additional $350 to have the edge leathered. I probably have about 40 linear feet of edge not including the 2 sink cutouts.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:27PM
ControlfreakECS

LOL! Until you asked this question, I never even thought about it. I never knew to ask about anything special, so I guess I just got the standard treatment for leathered granites. It is very smooth but not super shiny. Looks just like the photo mpagmom posted, so I'm guessing mine was also honed.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:35PM
jerzeegirl

I have leathered granite with a honed eased edge and I think it looks great. It's not noticeable that it's different a different finish than the countertop.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:31PM
sudaki

Thank you mpagmom, jerzeegirl for the pictures and for the assurance that a honed edge would be fine with a leathered top. Each fabricator seems to have a different approach. Looking at your granite confirms my desire for searching out the right leathered granite - probably green typhoon. Love the softer look!

contollfreakecs - I agree - who knew the questions that we would be asking as we embarked on the remodeling adventure!! I'm "struggling" not to cross the line from being temporarily TKO to being TCKO (totally crazily kitchen obsessed)!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Please help! We're getting a buzz--LED dimmer questions
We installed Commercial Electric LED can lights made...
laughablemoments
Polished Nickel or Chrome Sink Drain?
I am about to purchase a Rohl polished nickel bridge...
kitchenkrazed09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™