Foundation leak/ledge

jamesbodellOctober 12, 2005

I posted this question in the "building" section and recieved only one response. Since its about an existing house, I thought I might have better luck here.

I have a new addition that was poured on ledge. My problem is I have standing water puddled inside the crawlspace, and I want to get rid if it, but here is the problem:

Think a large flat rock. Now, carve a bowl into it about 3 feet in diameter and 1 foot deep in the middle. Now, pour a foundation through the middle of it, so 1/2 the bowl is inside and 1/2 is outside

The exterior foundation was backfilled with dirt and planted. What is happening is that water is leaching down and getting trapped in the "bowl" on the outside, and rising on the inside.

I am trying to figure what I can do. I would like to avoid a sump situation.

I was thinking to either fill the bowl inside with a bag or two of cement, or fill the outside bowl with cement. A french drain along the foundation exterior will not work well becuase not matter what I do, its still a low spot and water will not flow "uphill" and out of the "bowl".

I am also concerned that since the water is traveling between the poured fondation and the ledge, that the water between the two will freeze and potentially heave the foundation.

I am leaning to stop the water BEFORE it enteres the house.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kennebunker

Not an expert or anything, but if it were me, I think I'd fill both the inside and outside with concrete to eliminate the bowl. Then I'd check out waterproofing options to be sure that water did not seep through my new concrete. What do they call it, Murphy's Law? If something can go wrong it will? If a piece af bread smeared with jam falls on the floor it will almost always fall face down?
I think if you don't follow through on extra waterproofing you run the risk of cracks in the new concrete and water seeping in again.
Maybe there's some other suggestions from someone who has had some experience with concrete?

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 11:43AM
housekeeping

How 'bout hiring someone with a jack hammer to cut a channel in the edge of the exterior bowl.

I had ledge cutting across a french drain I installed in Virginia. We just cut through it with a pick and pry bar. It was hard work, and if we'd been in a harder rock area a jack hammer would have been required, which is why I suggested that.

In your case, you only need to cut a channel, so perhaps it would be easier.

Molly~

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 5:59PM
jamesbodell

I have done just so on the other side of the house with great success. Unfortuntley, this won't work here as it just drains to a bigger bowl.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 9:45PM
edith_texas

We recently had a similar problem, but we used trenchless pipe restoration. It is great - they use an epoxy pipeliner that repairs the inside of the pipe. It saved us a bunch of money.

It is a cool technology.

Edith

Here is a link that might be useful: Accurate Leak

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™