What do you do to avoid it all?

smom40October 7, 2005

Today, I actually went outside and mowed the backyard. This is notable since I haven't used a mower in about...TEN YEARS! LOL

Reminds me of college. I used to clean out my closets or my refrigerator the night before a test. I guess I'm consistant!

Tonight, I attack the kitchen. The WHOLE THING is a 'hot spot'. We basically live in there. It's where 'my' junk is. It's where the paper lives. It's where everything I don't know what to do with, lives. It's the most evil place in my home.

It's not dirty. The sink is clean. The dishes are put away. The counters where I cook are clean.

But everything else? Oh lordy.

If you don't hear from me in a few days, send in a posse...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cupofkindness

Shop for more stuff.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 11:22PM
shirleyinadirondacks

I read a good mystery. preferably, something I've already read. But after my daughter died in December and again when my father died seven months later, I couldn't read at all.

My youngest daughter does the same and had the same reaction to reading afater Shelly died.

Every other situation works with the reading.

shirley

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 8:32AM
Julie_MI_Z5

To avoid the worst jobs around the house, I usually do volunteer work or join a new committee. Volunteering gives a positive sense of accomplishment; washing the kitchen floor just means it's going to be dirty again the next day.

I'm trying not to do that as much this fall so I can get caught up around here!

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 9:50AM
des_arc_ya_ya

Play on the computer or talk on the phone. (Just think, by reading this we might ALL get new methods of avoidance! LOL)

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 9:57AM
kittiemom

My biggest avoidance method is browsing the internet - mostly looking at decorating ideas, furniture, & organizing stuff. Sometimes I read, watch tv w/DH or talk on the phone.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 10:24AM
sheriz6

Same here. I can spend hours surfing when I should be doing other things.

Talking on the phone, though, actually helps me get stuff done because I can talk on the cordless and do mindless stuff like empty the dishwasher or fold clothes -- it makes the job fly by.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 10:37AM
marie26

Going to several sites on the internet. They, unfortunately, have taken number 1 priority on my "to do list".

There are times when I'll stay up late just to get my internet fix so that I can concentrate on the house the next day.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 4:46PM
maddiemom6

Shirley.. Like you anything that had to do with using my head like that was out after our baby son died 5 years ago... I acutally got a lot of or actually tackling projects that I had not gotten too... but that were for the most part mindless... it gave my head a a break and my heart time to at least start the process of healing... it take a long time but each day it gets a little better.
Lots of hugs for you!

Maddiemom

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 7:37PM
cupofkindness

I was appalled at the response to this question that I posted so many years ago... I'm much more proactive now. Clutter is exhausting, but I try to work in 15 minute blocks of time-short bursts of activity is an excellent coping mechanism for avoiding the crash and burn associated with the avoid/attack syndrome. Why did I ever think that having a lot of stuff was important?

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:25PM
LucyStar1

Like cupofkindness, I work for 15 minutes at a time with a timer. That's Flylady's method. I listen to my ipod while I am working. I listen to podcasts of radio shows. I like interviews with authors, BBC podcasts, local shows, etc. I have also downloaded FlyLady's crisis cleaning podcast, and I sometimes work while listening to that.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Sponsored Products
Pewter Whitehaus WHFH-H4540 Traditional Kitchen Hot Water Dispenser
$249.00 | Blue Bath
Modern Mosaic 5-lt Linear Chandelier
LBC Lighting
VIG Furniture - 3334 Black Ultra modern sectional sofa - VGEV3334SEC
Great Furniture Deal
Jet Set 20" Wide 3-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Woven Raffia Frame
Serena & Lily