Good blog post on Clutter

lazy_gardensOctober 13, 2010

Identifying it is the first step - she writes about

Nine Quick Tips to Identify Clutter

Here is a link that might be useful: Nine Quick Tips to Identify Clutter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

There's a quick one-sentence way of determining if something is clutter: If my house was on fire, would I save this?

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 6:13PM
jannie

Or this one: If I wer packing to leave my husband, what would I take? Probably only my dog, my jewelry,my camera, and some photo albums. He could have all the rest!

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:34AM
trancegemini_wa

I seem to use time as a motivator - If something has been sitting in the cupboard for a couple of years, then Im not really using it so Im not going to miss it.

I'll give myself 3 or 4 days to go through catalogues, if I havent done it by then I just grab them and toss them and tell myself that I dont have time for catalogues right now or I'd have gone through them by now, and there will always be more catalogues.

If cosmetics etc reach the expiry date, I tell myself that if I was using it often it wouldnt have a chance to expire so chances are I wont miss it.

I find it easier to identify things as clutter when I think about how long it's just been sitting somewhere doing nothing, so it cant be that useful to me. Useful things I use, clutter justs sits

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 10:16AM
thatcrazyplantlady

That's a great checklist for average items. But when it comes to items with sentimental value, we often have trouble letting them go even if they don't fit our lives. When I began decluttering my house, I had lots of "sentimentalities". If it didn't fit my decor and wasn't useful to me, I asked myself, "Who do I know who would appreciate this?" And I began giving the items to the people I knew would want them.

For items no one wanted, I'd snap a picture of the item and then sell it or Freecycle it. It's taken me years to declutter my house, and honestly I don't even remember what all I got rid of and I certainly don't miss a thing.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 12:17PM
cross_stitch

From this list, #2 if my favorite: Would I replace it if it were broken or lost? I will try to keep this in mind as I go through cabinets, drawers and closets. And the GARAGE!

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 8:12PM
les_bailey

Lazygardens, great zenhabits blog!

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
janeway452
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Organizing vs. Cleaning?
Have discovered in the last few weeks that I get a...
des_arc_ya_ya
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™