A hole in the wall

nancy922October 14, 2008

I'm going to be remodeling my older house, and installing central heat and air. Currently the house has a thru the wall air conditioner. What should I do with that big hole in the wall?? I thought of having a stained glass window made for it, but it's behind some bushes, and no one would probably notice it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimkitchy

Well, it can always be restored to a wall like the original with careful attention to the exterior and interior finishes. As my DH likes to say, anything can be accomplished with the timely expenditure of a few pounds! Also, bushes can be removed, moved or pruned, if you'd like a stained glass window. That sounds lovely. Would it be a good place for a window - both from the interior and the exterior? I guess it all depends on what you would like and your budget. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 12:51PM
calliope

I just sold a house I owned in town, and it also had a through the wall in the living room. Someone had done just the reverse, turned a window opening into an opening for the unit. I was seriously thinking of making it back to a window, and using stained glass because the view was not a desirable one, IOW the house sitting next to it, fifteen feet away.

Who cares if nobody else notices it because the view is hidden? It still would admit light, and you would enjoy it from the inside.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 12:58PM
nancy922

Thanks for your replies. It is next to a bank of 3 windows, so there really is no need for more light. I just thought it was a cool idea. The interior wall is paneling, that I am thinking of paintin over, so it could be camouflaged. I could also hang a large picture over it or something......just brainstorming.....LOL

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™