Old casement windows

Debra304September 12, 2011

I have 100 yr casement windows in my house. Here is a picture of the hardware.


The part with the screw attaches to the window sill and the other end to the bottom of the window. Does anyone have any ideas for screens? There are some old wooden screens here for the double hung, but I guess these never had screens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm assuming the casement opens outward, based on the hardware you linked.
I have seen hinged screens that swing inward in this situation.

    Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 5:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes the windows open outward. I can't picture how the screen would fit over the hardware since it is connected to the bottom window sill and the bottom of the window. Do you know where I could see these? Thanks

    Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 7:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My sister lived in a house with a couple of casement windows and on one of them I know the screen sat completely inside the hardware. It was made almost like inset cabinet doors with a screen instead of a panel.

I believe some of the screens may have had a slot in the bottom frame for the bar of that hardware to poke through depending upon what position it was in.

I would look at Old House Journal online or Old House Interiors and you may be able to find something. I did find one image online

Here is a link that might be useful: casement screen picture.

    Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What palimpset is speaking of is called a full screen with a wicket. A wicket is essentially a door with screen frame cut at the bottom of the screen with the door hinged to allow you to open it and then crank open the window. You would then close the wicket and still have a full screen

    Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 3:47PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
where to find? brass window-stop grommets?
I'm finally re-doing each window. (1911 colonial revival-...
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
Sponsored Products
Pieced Pillow 17"Sq. - ORCHID/GOLD (17X17)
$295.00 | Horchow
Florentine Brocade Fabric 3 yards x 54"W - OYSTER
$375.00 | Horchow
Ivory Arm & Hammer Odor-Neutralizing Grommet Curtain Panel
$14.99 | zulily
BDI | AvionĀ® Noir Series II Home Theater Cabinet 8937
Outdoor Curtain Panel
Home Decorators Collection
Royal Sophia Finial
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Custom Grommet Top Curtain Panel
Home Decorators Collection
Sage Antique Slub Velvet Blackout Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$54.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™