Pantry from scratch?

magdiegoOctober 13, 2011

We're remodeling our kitchen, and I will now have a walk-in pantry, about 4 1/2' by 8 1/2', with pocket doors. I've spent so much time agonizing over the kitchen, I gave NO thought to the pantry, but now the contractor wants me to make some decisions.

I'm trying to decide between built in shelves, or installing a closet organizer system, like Elfa or Rubbermaids FastTrack or Configurations. Does anyone have experience with those products? Love it? Hate it? Do they work for pantries? How deep or shallow should pantry shelves be? I like the idea of drawers in the pantry, but if I have the shelves built in, is that even an option without mortgaging my firstborn?

I plan on storing food, small appliances, bulk purchases of paper towels/toilet paper, wine, paper recylcing, etc. In other words, a multi-purpose pantry. :)

Thanks for any help - this is a once in a lifetime for me, and I'd hate to mess up the opportunity!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cupofkindness

Please also post this question on the Kitchens Forum. You will get dozens of answers very quickly over there.

Also, I believe Elfa just went off-sale at the Container Store. The next big shelving sale is after Christmas.

What a fun problem to have. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™