Oils + Such Storage - Carpentry Help -- TS?

holly_bcOctober 20, 2007

Anyone is welcome to weigh in on this. I particularly mentioned TS as I understand she's a *wannabe Carpenter* and know she is a 'solution oriented / where there's a will . . .' kinda gal. :-))

All the base cabinets in my kitchen are framed. I would like to install a pull-out much as you often see for spices but larger to hold all the Crisco/OO/Ketchup yadda type bottles. I'd have to have this made but that isn't the challenge. I can see the bottom guide for said pullout attaching to the bottom of the cupboard no prob. The 'top' of the cupboard is the bottom of the drawer above. Problem there. As it's a middle cupboard (another on each side) I'm thinking a piece of 1/2" or whatever plywood/mdf could be nailed in from either side creating a place for the top mount guide. Does this sound feasible?

I'm renovating an old kitchen and as I loved the tile counter tops & long and short, base cabinets are base cabinets, didn't want to pull all those out and begin from scratch. However in making this decision, and in order to get what I want, I need to do a considerable amount of head scratching and figurin'!

I know I could ask this on Carpentry but I'm thinking I'd get more no's than yes's. I could ask this on Kitchen's but the majority are more into new stuff not converting old stuff. So I though I'd ask here as most are concerned with working with what they do have rather than rip/tear + start from square one. Make sense?

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As a former kitchen designer and the wife of an amazing man -- you can do it. You need to use 1/2 to 3/4" plywood -- be sure to get it anchored into the wall. I'm not sure if your cabnets are solid wood but often the backs are 1/4" thick plywood or particle board.

Then use fairly long screws -- I'd like to see those go into the wall also. I'd use under-mount full-extension drawer glides and build a shallow drawer/box -- 1.5" deep. Be sure to get heavy enough glides. I'd like to see 75-100 lbs. If you ever stack cast iron skillets --- you'd be happier with the heaviest ones you can find.

Sounds like a good plan

    Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you go to www.shelvesthatslide.com, you can find installation instructions for a face-frame pullout. (as well as a decent way to order a pullout the size you need)

There are drawer slides that attach to the back of the cabinet, intended for face-frame cabinets. Do get a full-extension one. (the one I linked to is 3/4 extension, but there should be a full-extension one). Here's how it'a installed

And there are brackets you can use to attach the drawer slide to the back of the cabinet.

And of course, you can install an extra piece of wood tothe side of the cabinet to fill in the gap (I think)

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuride center-mount slide for face-frame cabinets

    Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 11:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Made In USA
Anderson Chair - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Velvet Tufted Storage Bench and Settee
Smart Box Humidifier - Black
| Dot & Bo
Coventry Media Stand
Grandin Road
Women's Adjustable Cedar Shoe Tree - Set of Two
Signature Hardware
Commercial Electric 6 in. LED Disk Light For Recessed Can Lighting CED6 WW 120 W
$38.97 | Home Depot
Avenel Industrial Edison 5 1/2" Wide Bronze Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™