OMG! Where do I start?????
I followed the link regarding the college boy's mother that was a packrat and even though my house isn't that bad compared to her's, it was certainly a "wake-up call" to what mine might be if I continue hoarding! Right now I'm faced with not only a cluttered home, basement and garage, but also a dirty, dusty mess! I do not know where to begin, but with today being Sunday and Tuesday trash pick-up thought it might be good to "try" now, even if it means doing it in "baby steps" as Flylady suggests. Here are the reasons for procrastinating----
1. forced to sit rather than stand or bend due to degenerative spinal disease (I'm only 53 years young!)---lucky to get a sink full of dishes done without taking breaks to sit down. UGH!
2. husband only adds to the mess----as soon as one tiny area is cleared, he piles things in it's place! I no sooner get a drawer organized and he decides that he's looking for something and tears through it all like a bull in a china cabinet!
3. allergies to dust, mold, etc.-----hate having sneezing fits when shuffling through this stuff! Guess I could wear a mask...?
4. getting help from a friend would be nice, but spoiled little Chihuahua can be quite threatening when visitors come over (not that I've had any lately due to this mess!!)----also can't restrict him to one room as we'd be plagued by his screaming! Same thing goes for keeping him outdoors=( Bacially I have resigned myself to the fact that this work must be done by me and me alone! ACK!
5. Where do I put the stuff and how do I lift it once it's all put into boxes and trash bags? I don't want rows of this stuff lining my walls and also hate the idea of animals tearing thru the bags should I put it outside until trash day!
Okay, this must all sound like excuses for not kicking into gear, right? And yes, I'm totally overwhelmed. Also have this problem of looking at items and realizing either how much money I've spent on them in the past or find sentimental values that I seem to attach to "things" making it very difficult to let go.
Please help! With only my husband and I residing in this two bedroom home and sharing it with our beloved pet, there really is no excuse for living like this! Even the refrigerator is overrun with "unidentified, useless garbage". Oh, and dirty windows inside and out, heavy furniture that must be moved in order to clean appropriately AND.....the list goes on!! Clutter, clutter, clutter everywhere I look!!