Anyone have a transcept window?

CassandraSeptember 6, 2008

I think they are called "transcept" windows but I'm not fully sure. I am restoring one in the bathroom of my 1913 home. It is above the door, has two hinges on the bottom, and tilts inward to, I assume, vent the room. My question concerns the hardware. The bottom hinges are intact, but someone removed the hardware on the left-hand side of the window that must have had a chain-type mechanism to hold the window ajar. On that side of the sash there are three holes for the screws, in the pattern of a triangle turned on its side. A smaller indentation on the adjacent door trim suggests that where it was hooked. Does anyone know what kind of hardware this is and where I can get one? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oops, I meant transom window! If anyone has one, could you please let me know what kind of hardware it has? I suspect my transom window had some kind of latch that you opened with a pull, and also a chain to keep it ajar. (I doubt that it had one of the more elaborate contraptions that you turn to open). I see some latches on the internet (ie. Rejuvenation) but none have the triangle shape of screw holes that mine obviously fit into. If anyone has photos, I'd really appreciate seeing how the hardware is attached.

    Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Nice hardware, with scary prices:

Here is a link that might be useful: Transom hardware

    Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Have you checked with any local architectural salvege yards?

    Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 12:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could also check vandykes dot com and wm j rigby.

    Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 6:28AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™