Birch or Beech IKEA countertops for staining black?

tkswiftFebruary 1, 2012

Does anyone know if the birch IKEA countertops stain as well as the beech? We want to stain them black with India Ink. Also, is one a harder wood than the other for holding up? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Beech is both harder and darker than birch, FWIW.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 1:02PM
jkom51

Beech is a beautiful wood, more popular in Europe than in the US.

If you do this, we'd love some photos of how it comes out!

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 1:41PM
jalsy6

I have the birch ikea top, for my island. While I didn't stain it black, it wasn't the easiest to take the chestnut colored stain I did apply, and is a little uneven. It has 3 coats of Waterlox on top. In addition, my kids sit there to do their homework, and for sure you can see the imprint of just about every assignment they've had...It is a temporary solution for me, ultimately to be replaced with granite when the budget allows! Here's a photo of right after it was done

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 1:54PM
bellajourney

We got the birch Numerar countertops and stained them black with india ink. (These will be temporary countertops until we can afford to upgrade them.) I think it took the stain well. I'll have to check with DH on how many coats of stain and poly he did.

The reason why we chose birch instead of beech is b/c I liked the yellow color of the birch better - if the staining didn't go well, our next step would have been to sand it down and restore and keep the natural color.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 3:25PM
tkswift

Thanks all! I too, am doing this as a cost alternative. For me, soapstone and marble would be my choice! The DIY renovation of our kitchen is a few months away but I will definitely post pictures when they are done! There seems to be mixed reviews on how well they take stain... I hear that IKEA is often out of the 30" depth piece and I want to bump out my sink so I need the extra depth. IKEA is out of the beech which I was originally planning on buying ( chosen for no particular reason) but they have the birch so I wondered if I should snag it while I could.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 3:54PM
angie_diy

Oh, I am anxious to hear how this turns out, too. I really like the idea, and probably would have done it if had known about it before buying DIY soapstone slabs! Please post pix after you do it.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 4:57PM
tkswift

Angie-Be glad you didn't know and just run with the soapstone! =) Bellajourney- Thanks for the picture! Was the edging hard to do?

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 8:00PM
st3r3otype

There are so many threads talking about this india ink stain idea, but only one set of pictures! Pics please!

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 1:45PM
flwrs_n_co

Brickmanhouse stained her IKEA butcherblock counters with India ink and describes how she did it in her reveal post. She finished them with Waterlox. I've linked her beautiful kitchen reveal below. Her description is a little less than half way down where she answers various questions. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brickmanhouse's kitchen reveal

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
So many kitchen reno questions
Hi, My moniker was changed when Houzz and Gardenweb...
dyhgarden
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Need advice badly! What should I do about my countertop?
The pictures below show my new installed Cambria Bradshaw...
Parhelion
karin_mt & Marble Owners Who Have Been Able to Remove Etching
I've read that some have been successful at removing...
aloha2009
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™