Sandblasting my old house?

floete_riSeptember 18, 2009

I've had 3 painting contractors over to look at the exterior of my 1930 bungalow recently and *none* of them would take the job or even offer a bid. Simply put, paint won't stick to the exterior of the house. We had it sanded and painted four years ago and it was bubbling all over the place w/ in a year. We've lived with it since then.

Some of the guys just shake their head, others talk about moisture and lack of ventilation. But one thing they can all agree on is, the house just has too many damn layers of paint on it. And nobody wants the job of getting the paint off ...

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting. Wow, cool, I thought. But then I search on the 'net and found that nobody likes or recommends sandblasting (or glass blasting, as this company calls it); it ruins the wood one way or another.

My question is: is that absolutely true? Does sandblasting always result in disaster?

Thoughts anyone?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie

We decided against sand blasting really damages brick,we had ours washed ,it was bio degradable.we did it in 93 looks as good as the day they did it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 11:02PM
floete_ri

In my case, however, we're talking about clapboard instead of brick. that said, damage would probably be worse on wood. but i'm not sure we have another choice at a price we can afford.

I'm going to ask the painter for some references to sandblasted houses and go see what they look like.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has any input or suggestions ... feel free!

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 7:35AM
karinl

Check other current threads on this forum about paint removal that make reference to infrared heat for paint removal. Not that I've ever used it, but it seems that people do use it to strip the entire exterior of their houses.

Blasting, whether with sand or glass beads or even walnut shells seems to me would make an infernal mess, and if some of your layers are lead paint... well, enough said. Again, read the other threads, one linked below.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stripper info

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 12:51PM
sacto_diane

Check out this YouTube video on Dry Ice blasting. Another option to consider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Gy4I8jSHE

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Ice Blasting

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 3:15PM
worthy

Check this piece at This Old House on a water-based chemical stripper that requires few safety precautions.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 7:59PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Until today. Today a nice guy stopped by and said the only economical way to do it is sandblasting.

RUN Forest, RUN!

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 6:25AM
bulldinkie

We used chemical wash,it was biodegradable didnt hurt shrubs,flowers never had 1 problem from it.They started top of the house came down it got rid of all paint etc on brick,the windows had white paint chaulking running down brick,it got rid that,It looked great when done a real face lift.like I said we did it in 93 it still looks great.

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 9:53AM
shasta_2008

We have a ranch and there was so much paint on it hubby took a pressure washer to it but you have to watch which tip you use or you can carve out the wood. We let it dry for a week and then we sanded (along with friends) and primed and painted. I would never do it agin, only because it's alot of hard work. I wish we would have slapped up some vinyl siding instead but otherwise the paint job looks great!!

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™