So Kiki.......how did the auction go?

calliopeSeptember 13, 2008

Know you put a lot of effort into doing this just right, and hoping you come back to this forum to let us know if you got "your" old house, how the auction went and your impressions of the process. Wanna share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiki_thinking

Hi! :)
The auction is not until next Wednesday - but I will report back win or lose. I'm pretty excited/nervous.

Right now I'm researching lead dust in carpet issues.
I can't find a way to test the carpets - the wipe-test-sent-to-lab is just kind of a spot test.

I still need to lead test the peeling paint from the front porch. If it's lead, the carpets then all go because it's probably been tracked throughout the house.

I also need to test the varnish from the windows and floors - if there is white lead in them, then again the whole house of carpet needs to go because I can see that they sanded some of them. But if the varnish is not leaded, then potentially the lead is isolated in about 1/3 of the house, then perhaps some of the carpets are not contaminated ..

I can't find anything that says that chemdry or steamcleaning successfully removes it.

I think I would just need to have all the carpet pulled out in order to have peace of mind - which is too too bad because some of the carpet is still in very nice condition. I'm worried though that I would be regretting the decision to get rid of all of it later this winter when it is cooooooold though. All of course depending on whether we get the house or not.

If we don't get the house I may need to hire myself out to the new owners as a consultant - so that all of the energy of my obsession isn't wasted - lol. (Bob, who is that woman that is always hanging around here? I don't know Donna, I think she came with the house. lol)

Thank you for checking on me :) I'll let you know how it goes!

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
lucy132
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Sponsored Products
Eastern Jungle Gym Classic A-Frame Cedar Swing Set with Lumber - KGCS
$569.98 | Hayneedle
Edge Vinyl Office Chair in Tan
$140.00 | LexMod
6 Lights Brass Chandelier with Black Shades
ParrotUncle
Textured Lines Rug 4' x 6' - LIGHT BLUE
$799.00 | Horchow
New Persian Pure Silk Kashan Hand Knotted Red Floral AllOver Area Rug H6008
BH Sun Inc