Removed asbesos roof - dust in attic - problem?

cateyanneSeptember 23, 2010

We recently had our old asbestos roof removed and replaced. It needed it for a while and we wondered how we could ever afford removal. As luck would have it a recent storm sent hail our way and the roof got replaced by our insurance co. We were required to get a osha approved asbestos removal co. Which the roofer contracted out for.

Now that all is said and done I have gone into the attic storage areas to retrieve some fall holiday decor and see everything covered with fine particle dust. I am afraid to handle anything in there. And all web sights say not to vacuum it up without approved equipment. Was this the job of the removal co.? Seeing as it's inside the house I wondered. also, is it possible that the dust particles are not asbestos but backing material or just dust from the removal process? Not sure what to do, will call the company with questions but wanted some advice first. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

It seems to me somebody should have been up in the attic from the removal company BEFORE the roof was removed to cover everything in plastic, at the very least to vacum up afterwards.
I know from having our roof replaced what a mess it made in the attic these guys were suppose to be pros so they should know better!

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 7:00PM
brickeyee

"We recently had our old asbestos roof removed and replaced. "

Do you mean asphalt shingles?

While older ones may have used asbestos as the mat material, fiberglass has been common for a long time.

Any shingles with asbestos should not have been able to release fibers since they are saturated in asphalt (tar).

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 11:08AM
calliope

And under that should have been the rolled roofing, and under that the wood sheathing. The dust in the attic may very well have been the internal dust getting knocked down from the rafters. I have had asbestos remediation but a licensed contractor, and they would be very cognisant if any was expectged to get through to the interior of your house. You were going to ask them, and they'd be able to give you the proper answer.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Sponsored Products
Milano Roman Silver One-Light Silver Shade Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 5W x
$504.00 | Bellacor
Calculite 6 Inch Non-IC AirSeal Frame-In Kit
Lightology
Kokoro Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer
$1,745.00 | Lumens
Elements Brook Chestnut Collection Dresser & Mirror
Beyond Stores
AXO Light | Muse Suspension Light
YLighting