Where to get frozen butternut squash?

catherinetSeptember 28, 2007

Hi all,

I have a recipe that calls for butternut squash. I used to buy it frozen all the time, but now I can't find it anywhere. I suppose I could substitute pumpkin?? or cook my own. Have any of you seen it anywhere? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's so easy to cook your own it's not worth running from one store to another. Just put a chunk of butternut into a covered dish with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom and micro wave on high for about 4 minutes or more ( depending on the power of your micro) until it's very tender and soft, drain water off and mash.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:37PM
BeverlyAL

Catherinet, are you near a large city? I can't get it in this small town either and I really hate peeling and slicing a butternut squash.

Beverly

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 11:10PM
catherinet

Thanks Linda and Beverly,
Yes, My shopping has been in a large midwestern town. That's why I don't understand. I guess I'll try some places like Meiers. I tried Kroger's, Payless, and Marsh.
And they don't always carry the actual squash either.
Do you think I could substitute pumpkin? I think squash is a little sweeter and lighter, but I'm thinking pumpkin would do.
If I can't find any frozen, I guess I'll have to grow it myself next year! I used to grow it and freeze it in ice cube trays for my kids when they were babies. They loved it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 8:48AM
momj47

Birdseye has cooked winter squash and most of the grocery stores here in Baltimore sell their own house brand of cooked winter squash, too. I know it takes some searching amongst the frozen foods to find it. I think they stock very little so there may only be a few boxes of it hidden away. I've sometimes had to look at the shelf tags to find it behind something else.

Good luck.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 9:49AM
catherinet

THanks mom,
I got their phone number off the link you provided and I'll call them Monday and see who sells their squash. Thanks!

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 10:04PM
jcrowley99

Meijers carries frozen butternut squash, as does Jewel (I just bought some for a soup recipe). The Meijer squash is organic and a bit pricier. If you have a Trader Joes near you, they often have cubed butternut and or acorn squash that you can easily cook and mash. I make one or the other once a week.

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 10:30PM
catherinet

Thanks jcrowley!

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 8:37PM
soipteur

In San Francisco the Rainbow Grocery definitely sells frozen butternut squash. Trader Joes's said they did not.
If you are still interested in locating frozen squash in your area contact:
Stahlbush Island Farms
Corvallis, Oregon
SIF@Stahlbush.com

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 8:56PM
beachlily z9a

Publix carries it!

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 10:07PM
BeverlyAL

Publix doesn't carry it here! As much as I love Publix I have to say their frozen veggie section leaves a lot to be desired here.

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 12:03AM
eileenlaunonen

Maybe Trader Joes

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 9:32AM
dreamgarden

Whole Foods market sells organic frozen butternut squash.

A link that might be useful:
www.stahlbush.com/products_retail_detail.php?sheet=1

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 1:50PM
ysop1016

Just bought some Birdseye today at WalMart.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 3:21PM
catherinet

Thanks everyone,
I still haven't found it yet, but haven't been able to get to Meijer's or Walmart. The ones with grocery stores are pretty far from here.
I've decided to grow it myself in the garden next year.
I can't believe Kroger and Marsh don't carry it. Maybe its too old fashioned a taste?? Its a great source of vitamin A.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 3:37PM
denninmi

Just so everyone knows, canned "pumpkin" is mostly canned butternut squash. The FDA has no legal definition of "pumpkin," and food processors use butternut because it is the richest, most dense, deepest orange, and least fibrous of all of the squash/pumpkin type things. I have read that they often use a variety of butternut called "Argonaut." So, feel free to use canned pumpkin in any butternut squash recipe.

That being said, I hope I'm actually correct in relaying this information. I recall reading this a few years ago. I actually grow my own butternuts every year, and store them in my basement. Often, they keep until well into the following summer. I personally find it extremely simple to cut one in half and nuke it until it's ready to scrape from the shell.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 7:06PM
Lisa_MI

I'm in the Midwest, too, (MI) and have not been able to find frozen squash at any of my grocery stores - Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, even a local mom/pop store. I have been looking since winter, and it's now spring but still no frozen squash on the shelves.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 3:53PM
beanthere_dunthat

The FDA has no legal definition of "pumpkin,"
That's just so...typical. They define some things to the nth degree and others they can't even be bothered define at all.

When I lived in the ohio valley, Meijer had it. Here I've seen it at Trader Joes and Whole Foods and Raleys.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 6:02PM
john_thompsonlfc_talktalk_net

where to get butternut squash in north wales flintshire

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™