Pecan Pie

olga_6bSeptember 12, 2012

I am interested in good recipe for pecan pie which does not use corn syrup. Several members of my family have severe intolerance of corn syrup, so really need to find something w/o it.

Thank you very much.

Olga

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Pecan pie was made before the advent of corn syrup and there are any number of recipes available. See link below.

Other options:

-Steen's Pure Cane Syrup - http://www.steensyrup.com/recipes260.html

-Lyle's Golden Syrup (which is also made from cane sugar syrup, but much lighter and more buttery than Steen's). King Arthur has a Pecan Pie Recipe using Lyle's Golden Syrup - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lyles-golden-pecan-pie-recipe.

Maple syrup - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1737,154174-235202,00.html

I'm going to give it a try with low-glycemic Palm Sugar and Homemade Palm Sugar Syrup:
4 c. palm sugar
2 c. water
1 T. natural Maple Flavoring (optional)
Heat until sugar dissolves.

Low-glycemic Agave Nectar - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-sanchez/pecan-pie-recipe/index.html

Here's a recipe for Homemade Corn Syrup someone shared here several years ago:

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 t. cream of tartar
dash of salt
Combine all ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and put cover on for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off side of pan. Uncover and cook to softball stage - 325-degrees F. Stir often.

Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature. It keeps about 2 months. Yield: almost 2 cups.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Eddy Van Damme - Corn Syrup Free Pecan Pie

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:20AM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I have a great recipe for Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie. It started as a Gourmet recipe but I've made a number of changes. You can find it on the link below at my recipe blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:01AM
cloudy_christine

Here's a pecan pie recipe from Steen's. I have not made it, but I do use Steen's Syrup (in gingerbread instead of molasses) and it is delicious. I order it from Louisiana. Those in the South can buy it in stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steen's Pecan Pie

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 3:01PM
olga_6b

Thank you. This is wonderful. I just LOVE pecan pie.
Will need to try them all:)
Olga

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 3:47PM
Virginia7074

I started making Nick Malgieri's "Heart of Dixie" pecan pie recipe after it was posted here by Lakeguy. It's the only one I make now - not too sweet and lots of pecans; sometimes, I add more.

Heart of Dixie Pecan Pie
Source Nick Malgieri

One batch Sweet Pastry Dough, for a 1-crust pie

Filling
1 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons Bourbon
2 cups pecan halves or pieces, or a combination
Prepare and chill the dough.

For the filling, combine corn syrup and sugar in saucepan and stir to mix. Place over low heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. Remove from heat, add butter and allow butter to melt. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs to break up and whisk in salt and Bourbon. Whisk in syrup and butter mixture, being careful not to over mix. Allow to cool while preparing bottom crust.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level. For the bottom crust, lightly flour the work surface and the dough and roll it to a 12-inch disk. Fold the dough in half and place it in the pan; unfold the dough and press it firmly into the pan. Trim away all but 1/2-inch excess dough at edge of pan. Fold dough under and flute edge.

Arrange pecans in crust. Skim foam from top of filling (or the top will have an unattractively mottled surface) and pour over pecans. With the back of a fork, press the pecans down into the filling so that they are immersed.
Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the crust is baked through and the filling is set and well puffed in the center. Cool the pie on a rack and serve warm or at room temperature.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:08PM
Virginia7074

Oops - my apologies. I just noticed that you said you needed a recipe without corn syrup. (Someday, I'll learn to read and comprehend at the same time!)

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™