Adding Height to basement?

wintertimeSeptember 27, 2007

I am looking at an older (1910) house to purchase. The house is a small 1.5 story with a full concrete basement. The basement ceiling is only 6 ft high. Too low to be usefull for anything other than storage.

I was wondering if anyone had experience lifting an older house to increase the ceiling height in the basement?

I saw it done once to a bungalow across the street from me and they were done in a week! The lift itself only took a day and they had the space framed and windows in in 2 days.

They also were living in the house the whole time.

Ideas, experiences, advice and costs would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kframe19

I, too, have seen it done. Pretty interesting project to watch.

Don't know about the cost, though.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 2:02PM
worthy

In a semi-detached, I've lowered the floor by having it dug out by hand, then buttressed the entire foundation wall.

I've also seen a large detached home jacked up and the foundation walls built up a couple feet before the house was eased back on them and re-connected.

Unless you're getting a really good deal on the property, or it's a prime location, I'd think long and hard about undertaking such a task.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House, New Foundation

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 9:06PM
calliope

Holy Cow. I just spent the better part of an hour on that link. It was one of the most interesting things I've seen on a forum, ever. Thanks. Wow, I can't even imagine that renovation.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:15PM
cleo07

I have a 3 ft crawl and I am thinking about jacking up the house 5 feet to make a walk out basement. My quote was $30,000 for the house moving, building up the block and cement pour for the floor. Just the moving part was around 10,000. It is a relatively easy thing to do from what I understand. But I live near the shore where anytime people near the beach do a certain amount of work on a house, they have to raise it too. You would look in the phone book under "house movers". They are the same people that actually move houses around.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™