Need help picking a lighter warm neutral paint!

aurora_sb16February 9, 2012

Just painted my entire house Tobacco Road formula from decor chicks blog... turned out way darker and more gold than any picture of tobacco road on the internet! (got it at sherwin williams) I was hoping it would be lighter and less gold with more tan! It looks good in my kitchen, but aweful in my living room! And everyone on the internet says it goes with anything... this really doesn't. I am deciding between Plantation beige, Pittsfield buff, Tobacco road at 50%, or just trying to get the millenium tobacco road from Lowes which seems to be more tan than gold. (To repaint the living room)

These are pics from my house, but they really don't show how gold it is on my walls!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy77

I agree, it looks gold, 70ish gold. Thanks for posting your pics,I'm looking for a color for my Living room and dining room, and Tobacco Road was on my list...

Right now I'm considering;
Behr Autumn Glow or Spiced Beige or Toasted Cashew,
Pittsburgh Paints Navajo White or Almond Brittle,
Sherwin Williams Navaho White or Maison Blanche or Fragile Beauty.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:58AM
tuesday_2008

Take a good look at SW Believable Buff. It is "lighter and less gold". Very pretty, neutral.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:16PM
andreadeg

Hi there,

I don't have a paint color to recommend to you but I wanted to point out that your carpet has a pinkish undertone, and, your hardwood floor has a yellow undertone. As long as you are choosing a paint with either a yellow undertone or a pink undertone one or the other room isn't going to look good.

Might I suggest going either really light, like cream, or maybe head in a different direction, like green which would go with both undertones? A warm grey could work too but I have virtually no experience with choosing grey paint colors so I cant advise a specific color.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 1:42PM
tuesday_2008

OOH! Angrea is right - green would be nice!

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 2:09PM
susanka

We are really enjoying our SW "Cherish Cream". It changes subtly depending on the light. Idon't have photos, but I'd suggest you take home a small amount of it and give it a try. The SW "samples" don't always match the actual paint color, we have found. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 2:32PM
andreadeg

Actually I think the tobacco road looks great with your furniture, and it looks good in the kitchen too. The only thing that isn't working is the color of the carpet with all the other furnishings. How about putting down some larger rugs. I see you have a rug there with some red in it, how about a larger carpet with more red? Red would look great with that scheme you have going!

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 12:09PM
nutmegxo

The color itself looks beautiful on the walls. I think it is the carpet that is making everything look off. Like andreadeg mentioned, it seems to have pinkish undertones (the carpet) and when you mix different undertones in one room, everything starts to look "dirty" for lack of a better word. If you want to steer away from golds, maybe sample some beigey colors that do not clash with the pink undertones in the carpet. I used a SW color in my last house called Familiar Beige...it might work with that carpet.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 6:38PM
cocorhum

I just had the same problem - sample of TR mixed at Sherwin Williams and it's very gold looking. I recently had SW match Behr Raffia Ribbon (which is a less gold / more tan) and it looks more like the pictures I have seen online of TR. One blogger even says the TR she had Home Depot mix up is an exact match for the Raffia Ribbon paint chip. May I ask what color you ended up repainting your home?

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Anyone used Guilford Green?
We are building a new home in FL and I am looking for...
peaches12345
Exterior lighting question
We're replacing all of our exterior lights. There's...
franksmom_2010
Look in the mirror; take one accessory off
You've heard that axiom? I'm finding it relates also...
violetwest
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
Have you used BM Etiquette?
I need to repaint my master bath. I'm considering...
sreedesq
Sponsored Products
Leucos | Ayers TR38 Floor Lamp
$990.00 | YLighting
Torrent Tan Wallpaper R1188, sample
Walls Republic
Bella Ottoman
Grandin Road
Blue Paint Glass Vase Bottle Table Lamp With Bell Linen Shade
ParrotUncle
Peacock Euro Sham Pair by DwellStudio
$69.00 | Lumens
Princess & Frog Table Lamp
Classic Hostess
Maria Theresa Two-Light Gold Finish with Clear-Crystals Wall Sconce
$216.00 | Bellacor
Barnyard-style Stoneware Bowls (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™