old home colors?

bigporchSeptember 12, 2010

I am looking for suggestions for paint colors for the porch floor and ceiling (unfortunately it was painted white at some point). The shingles are dark gray. The new windows are a very dark bronze (brown). I plan to use 2 shades of yellow for the main color and a soft white for all of the trim, porch railings and posts, etc. The front door area will be left stained, though maybe darker to match windows closer. I am just stuck on the color(s) for the porch ceiling and floor (and maybe the top railing of the porch) Not sure what would look best. Anyone with an opinion? :)

Pics here: http://bigporch.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusguy1

Traditional colors for porch floors is gray, for the ceiling, a sky blue.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 1:48PM
Carol_from_ny

Dark green almost what some would call a forest green for floors and the sky blue for the porch ceiling we're another common color combo.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 2:39PM
mary_lu_gw

Your post sounds like an echo of mine in the past. :-)

We ended up with a sagey green, a soft yellow tan and a dark rusty terra cotta. Ironically we are painting our porches right now and I am wondering what color to paint the floor. The PO had painted them a chocolate brown which will not work with our color scheme. Just today I bought a very dark green to try. It is a Sherwin Williams color. SW 61174 Andiron

However I doubt I will go with the blue ceilings as our porches are very tall and the ceilings are very visible from a distance.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™