Installing foam insulation in shingle style house

elsewhereSeptember 26, 2011

I have an old 1890 era shingle style house with a finished 4th floor (cathedral ceiling, 8" rafters). As it's time to reroof, I'm getting estimates for putting insulation up - there is currently no insulation in the roof. I'm comparing 1) foam boards with R15 put in cavity at time of shingling, 2) open cell foam insulation (about R32) with an all roof ice & water barrier, and 3) closed cell foam insulation (up to R38+) with no barrier. I'm in a cold, wet climate.

My questions - are 2) and 3) preferable, despite the much greater cost? would 2) present a problem with vapor condensation?

And finally, what are your experiences, if you have insulated a similar home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Your insulation is below minimum recommended R Values. See charts in this thread.

Ice and weather shield should be on the roof, running from the eaves to three-six feet up the roof. It has nothing to do with R Value, but protects the roof against ice damming.

Since you're re-roofing you could well consider insulation both above and below the sheathing.

Finally, sealing your home will do as much or more than increased insulation levels to make your home more energy efficient. (See Link Below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Air Sealing Guide

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elsewhere

Thanks for the advice, I'm in zone 5 with a Cathedral ceiling - R30-38 is recommended.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™