Inside a closet and hidden behind a wall........................

jiggreenSeptember 21, 2010

We found an exterior door! The best part is, that it is EXACTLY where we wanted to put a door! We had no idea this door was there, it is covered over on the outside with the siding, and on the inside at the rear of the foyer some PO had made a coat closet (also the door to the cellar was in this closet, on the right side...) We could tell that the coat closet was an add-on, so we removed it...and something about the back wall looked funny to me......

We will eventually remove the siding to expose this door on the outside also. Long term plan is to use this "new" doorway to connect the summer kitchen to the house via a breezeway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rafor

Isn't it cool to find things in an old house!!!!!

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 12:13PM
antiquesilver

What a find!!!!!!!!! Not as exciting as a door, but when we were looking for ways to improve drainage in one spot in the backyard, we found the original brick patio complete with a drain - all under 9" of soil.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 2:30PM
jlc102482

Too cool! What a great old door. This is one of the many reasons why I love old houses. :)

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 3:40PM
Moccasin

I think it is wonderful that you found this door.

When I was suggesting changes to my DH's cape, he told me that where I wanted to put doors was where they were originally located. It somehow seems logical and I guess that is what you are discovering with YOUR house.

Good luck with your reno. PLEASE keep the forum current with your progress bringing this old house up to date. Or back to the future?

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 8:54PM
marquest

It great to find things in these old houses. It is such a wonderful treasure hunt.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 11:18PM
old_house_j_i_m

WOW - that IS exciting - and, nothing to do with your door find, but I am glad to see we're not the only ones who do our restoration/renovation work in our plaid pajama pants ... HA HA HA

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™