Removing Varnish

happylady1957September 19, 2008

Does anyone have experience with Soy Gel paint and varnish remover? I'm looking to refinish the pocket doors in my living room, but don't want to invest in this stuff unless someone has had experience with it.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

There's loads of experience on the forums at oldhouseweb dot com. Search in the General Forums for "Soygel" - no space in the middle. Good luck.

I've used PeelAway and can talk about PA #1 and #7 at length.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 9:01PM
happylady1957

Thanks for replying Patser,
I have some pocket doors with varnish/shellac (don't know difference), that needs to be removed. We also have peeling latex paint on woodwork that has a layer of what might very well be lead paint. I would like to deal with it in a safe, yet cost-effective (read cheap)way.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 12:46PM
patser

To test if it's shellac, get some denatured alchohol and wipe it on in a very inconspicuous place. If it's shellac, it comes right off. Denatured alchohol doesn't touch lacquer/varnish.

Are you going to just refinish/freshen the doors?

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 3:19PM
happylady1957

Sorry to take so long to get back - busy busy! I will have to buy some denatured alchohol to test the doors. I was thinking I would have to refinish them, but what's this about "freshening" them? They are between the dining room and the living room, so kind of a promenant spot.

By the way, if it turns out they are covered with lacquer/varnish, what would be my next step? Thanks for all the advice - I'm not too experiences with this sort of thing!

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™