painting an old victorian

heydehoSeptember 16, 2008

I just painted my Victorian house. I am really unhappy with the colors. I thought it would be bright and light but it is not. I picked very neutral colors because I was overwhelmed.

I don't know what to do now. I think I can possibly add accent colors to bring out the character of the house. I feel like I took away everything fun and interesting about my house. I painted it a revere pewter body with navajo white trim. Bad choices.

I was having trouble picking colors so I found a house I liked and they told me what colors they used. I did the exact same colors and let me tell you my house looks nothing like theirs.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
powermuffin

You can Google painted ladies, painted Victorians and look at houses where they have picked out the details in 3rd, 4th and 5th paint colors. The neutral tones you have now would be easy to add to. Navy, deep red, dark blue-green, lavendar. I would find some examples you like that have more than two colors, buy some sample pots of paint and try it out. You have made a significant change; be careful to give yourself time enought to let it really sink in. You may decide that you like it after all. Did you paint your front door and contrasting color? That may me the first thing to try.
Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Vics

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 11:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

It's an act of faith to jump in and use paint traditional to period architecture or decorating. The last time the exterior of our home was redone, it had been seventy five years previous. When they gave us the choice of shades they could incorporate into the mix, and the dh and I were brainstorming, the sales consultant poked fun of a yellow sample, saying that it would make a huge old house look like a giant stick of butter. I told her to go for it, and we've never regretted it since.

The beauty of most Victorian homes are the lines and detail work. If you must change paints, I'll bet just going to a crisp and darker detail to accentuate those things over the pewter base would go a long way toward making it more what you expected. Yes, and even simply painting a door can make a big difference. I just sold a hundred year old town house. Yes, it was a pewter and it just didn't zing. I painted the door wine red. It helped A LOT.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Sponsored Products
Handcrafed Vintage Wood Floor Lamp with Fabric Square Shade
ParrotUncle
Crackled Pheasant IV
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
David Bromstad "The Flower Within" Artwork
Grandin Road
Hand Painted "Urban Abstract Triptych" Canvas Wall Art
Overstock.com
Hand-painted 'Sailing at Dusk' Oil Painting on Canvas
Overstock.com