Cost to reupholster a couch

bobbie46February 8, 2012

What is a reasonable fee for the labor to reupholster a couch?One place charges $1000 and others as little as $285. All have good reputations. I bought a Hickory Chair sofa for my daughter. We can find the fabric for $225 or less. I paid $250 for the sofa. Thanks for all help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Most places have 2 costs....one if you buy the fabric from them and another if you bring the fabric.
For a simple one cushion sofa without tufting my guy charges $500 labor.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 10:39AM
schoolhouse_gw

A local upholstering business here run by a mother and daughter charges $20 an hour.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 10:45AM
annzgw

I find it hard to believe someone could upholster it for $285. I know price can vary depending on locale but that is really low. In my area, a chair (such as a wingback or recliner) starts at $450.
Make sure the estimates are apples to apples. IOW's, make sure each upholsterer is including possible replacement of stuffing and/or foam, new welting, tufting, or anything extra you're wanting.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 12:41PM
lascatx

I think I paid $600 plus fabric about 10-12 years ago. It ran as much as a new sofa, but I had ordered the sofa custom and still loved it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 1:30PM
jillinnj

About 7-8 years ago I looked into having a couch recovered. I'd paid about $1,200 for the couch about 10-15 years before that. Calico Corners was going to charge $1,200 plus cost of fabric. I bought a new couch.

I know Calico Corners is probably not cost effective and I might have gotten better quotes elsewhere, but that $285 quote does not sound right to me. I would be very suspicious of that one.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 1:40PM
jen9

I recently paid $485 (plus cost of fabric) to reupholster a chair that did not need any new stuffing/work done.
Another chair that needed the cushion reworked was $650 (again, without the fabric). These were standard sized chairs with no tufting. I can't imagine anyone doing a couch of any size for under $800 here in the Chicagoland area.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 1:57PM
sas95

I just got a quote for a couch that included some cushion rework. Without fabric, $950. I decided not to do the couch so I didn't get other quotes, but when I got quotes for another project this guy was on the cheap side.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 3:42PM
gr8daygw

I had a recliner upholstered recently and it was about $500 plus fabric.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 5:44PM
jerseygirl_1

I paid $825 plus fabric to have our kidney shaped sofa reupholstered last spring. Calico Cornered wanted over $1100 during a 20% off sale.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 8:55PM
kswl2

Around here it's $1200 not including fabric--- and that isn't for a large sofa, either. Your estimates vary a lot.....buyer beware...

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Anyone want a crystal chandelier?
My BIL recently passed away. He had no wife or children....
badgergal
House exterior - cedar siding alternative?
I love the look of horizontal cedar slats, and would...
juno_barks
Look in the mirror; take one accessory off
You've heard that axiom? I'm finding it relates also...
violetwest
Sponsored Products
Peacock Feather Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Scalamandre Zebra Hand-Painted Decorative Pillow
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Morrison Bronze Graphite One-Light Table Lamp
$117.00 | Bellacor
Royal carefree stewart wool throw - red
Origin Crafts
Beasleys Couch Dog Bed - Microsuede Sage & Beige Polar Fleece Multicolor - BKF/P
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Griffin Charcoal Sofa
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™