I need a file cabinet!

timberframe4usSeptember 8, 2011

I would really like a well-made wooden 2-drawer one that looks nice enough to use in my living room. Does anyone make these for less than $500?!?

The less expensive option I'm considering is a metal one that I can paint black and have wood drawer fronts made for.

Who knew something so simple could be so difficult!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

I got mine from a local store, locally made. They DO exist!

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 6:39PM
mustangs81

I got a very nice lateral file, nice handles, sturdy on Craigslist for $35. Of course another one of those is a long shot. Prior to lucking out with CL, I was looking at Office Depot. I use mine in the den for a TV stand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing Cabinets

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 12:51AM
marge727

I don't know where you live, but offices are closing and as a result you can get wonderful file cabinets all over from used office equipment places. If there is a big office building nearby, contact the management office and see if they have anybody who wants to unload office furniture. Sometimes the tenant just moves out and leaves stuff. I got some beautiful office chairs, cheap to replace ones that were worn from an office that was moving out.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 10:44PM
talley_sue_nyc

I am so enamored of the high-quality drawer slides -- full-extension so I can pull the drawers ALL the way out -- of my office-worthy unit that I will never, ever, ever buy a cosmetics-first filing cabinet.

Even if I have to have a cabinet maker make the filing cabinet, or I have to live with an office-y looking filing cabinet, or paint it some non-office color--I am never going to have a filing cabinet that is not completely, thoroughly, wonderfully *functional*.

I almost don't care how expensive it would be.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 5:04PM
marie_ndcal

Try to stay away from Staples or Office Max or Walmart--their filing cabinets are really cheap made but oh so expensive. I got a real nice one (metal) from a local stationary store and it was a commerical one and made in USA. Sure holds by stuff.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:54PM
emilynewhome

Have you considered looking at an unfinished wood store? They usually stock furniture for every room in the house, including home office.
I bought a two drawer, 30" height filing cabinet from one of those barewood stores. They replaced the drawer glides with heavy duty ones and painted it in a BM paint that I'd picked out. My DH had a 72'H bookcase finished in stain to match existing den furniture.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Designing a home office! What would you include?
We are gutting our home office .... creating a his...
Becky Berend
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™