My new organizing system

marie26September 18, 2007

Last year, when I did my first culling and organizing in the house, I wrote a list of everything I needed to do. I had done a great job but I still felt like I hadn't done enough.

This year, I decided to redo all the cupboards and drawers in the house so I put the list (numbered) on the computer. When I'd finish each item or part of each item, I moved it to another numbered list. Seeing all the "done" ones (which I hilighted in yellow to stand out) has really kept me going. And I can see clearly the items that I still need to do and choose which one I should work on, depending on the time available.

I've also added calls to make or appointments made on this list. It has really kept me on top of everything. I still use my small purse calendar for doctor appointments but everything else goes on the computer. The best part is that it's replaced all those bits of paper which has been a major downfall of mine.

Another thing I started to do is to type in a Word document all the conversations I was having recently with my satellite TV supplier. They cancelled on my twice and then didn't even bother to show up the third time. It really was much easier to type in each conversation and now it's in the computer and I was able to refer to the date and CSR I spoke to when I had to call them back. From now on, I will do this for any future "problems".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mustangs81

Marie,

You will find your "House Diary" as I call it, invaluable! I have referred to it so often that I can't imagine what I did without it. Like yours, it's in table in a Word document. When I make a major purchase like the oven, I keep all of the information relevant to that purchase in the House Diary. Magazine subscriptions are helpful to as I have seen a trend that the subscription comes due before it should. I keep appliance repair notes too.

I keep it by the year with the following columns.

DATE ITEM MERCHANT PAID NOTES

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 4:17PM
marie26

Mustangs, that's a good idea! I'll start it now with my magazine subscriptions and continue with my next major purchase. I'll also add a column for phone numbers for the magazines and the stores purchased at and technical support.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 5:11PM
lobsterbird

A "House Diary" is a terrific idea. What a perfect way to have all kinds of info together in a compact form. Don't need to dig through complete files for simple info such as the columns you noted. I love it!

Thanks, marie26 and mustangs!

Tina

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 11:50PM
jannie

Sounds like a good system. Some days I just try to do three things. Like pay three bills or quick- ckean the kitchen,bathroom and bedroom. Or make three phone calls. Today I applied for Social Security on the phone, reported my broken cellphone to get a replacement, and returned a pair of UGG boots that dodn't fit to the store. I just do three meaningful things each day. At least I feel like I'm making "progress".

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
janeway452
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Sponsored Products
Courtly Check Three-Tier Sweet Stand
$198.00 | Horchow
New Century Two-Light Antique Bronze Downlight Hook Arm Semi-Flush
$150.10 | Bellacor
Charles Grande Leather Armchairs Set Of 2 in Tan
$1,079.00 | LexMod
Alliyah Handmade Red New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Rainbow II Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$239.20 | Lumens
Radiax 3000K 35-Degree 6.5-Watt LED Beach Flood Light
Lamps Plus
LBL Lighting | Rocks Pendant Light
$140.00 | YLighting
Colonial Mills Texture-Woven Storage Basket - 18 diam. x 12 in. - XN19A018X018
$168.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™