Colonial style door latches

TwistedERanchAugust 14, 2011

I am looking for those old fashioned colonial style door latches to use on new doors rather than knobs. I've seen pictures, so I know they are out there, I'm just not sure exactly what they are called. A gate hinge is the closest thing I can find. I have been searching for thumb latch, but I'm striking out. Does anyone know what I am referring to, or does anyone know where I might locate these? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I know what you are talking about. My dad's uncle had them on every door of his house except the front and back door.
I believe he had them specially made by a black smith. I'd ask him but the poor man died several years ago.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 1:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Twisted, it's amazing what a google search can turn up with the right wording, i.e.: 'door thumb latch'. :)
Here is an entry from my very first page of results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thumb latches

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 4:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check with Ball & Ball. Expensive, but beautiful reproductions.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, antiquesilver they *do* have nice stuff! Columbusguy, I have searched bing several different ways to try to find what I am looking for. I guess I really don't know exactly what they look like dissassembled. Maybe that is why I'm having such a hard time. I want a latch that operates from both sides, I see thumb latches and gate latches, but have only come across one that is operable from both sides.

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 2:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is another link--this may be closer to what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passage Door Latch

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 5:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In addition to suffolk/thumb latches, there's a lesser-seen latch that uses knobs but isn't any kind of box lock, because it's earlier, and all the works are flat metal exposed on one side of the door. I found a set of them on ebay to give an idea what they look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay; earliest knob latches

    Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 8:18PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
Extruded Mortar
I have an older home built in the 1950`s which has...
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
Sponsored Products
VIG Furniture - Temptation Ophelia Modern Round Bed - VGWCTEM-8C005A
Great Furniture Deal
Leaf Pattern Lampholder Table Lamp
Chrome Two-Light Bath Light with Faux Alabaster Glass
$37.90 | Bellacor
Eurofase Crystal Ribbed Cylinder Trim
Euro Style Lighting
Tall Cylindrical Hammered Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
French melody natural table runner 20x59
Origin Crafts
Florence Knoll Style Loveseat-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Moen T6105 Kingsley Two-Handle Chrome Bathroom Faucet Trim Kit with Drain Assemb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™