Fireplace uncovered!!

61tinkerbellAugust 16, 2011

now what? LOL

Previous owner at some point (1970-1980's) removed the mantel, and covered up the original 1937 limestone fireplace. (stupid, stupid, stupid!) They also bricked in the side heat vents.. not sure if it was because of a problem, or just to seal them with the granite.

The limestone matched the winding path to the front of the home, which was charming, but because of 80 years of wear and tear, we need to replace it - it is dangerous as is, and can't be restored without costing dearly! We are going to make the parking pad and walkway using old Chicago reclaimed bricks.

Should we try and reface the limestone with the same type of brick? Stone, or something else? Any thoughts or ideas will help!

BEFORE

From Drop Box

Uncovered and exposed!

From Drop Box

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostonpam

No suggestions but interested in the responses. Our fireplace was completely behind a plaster wall. It's on a long list of projects but I'm not thinking about it yet. I'm also interested in your walkway project - I'm hoping to do a similar project next year with reclaimed bricks from the old police stable torn down in the 50's.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 9:23PM
Debra520

That's beautiful.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 9:32PM
ks_toolgirl

It's so cool - & how exciting to discover it! Good for you! Given the choice, the brick is preferable to the granite. :-)
Wish I could help - but all I can offer is encouragement & ENVY.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:27PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Not sure I am getting this. They enclosed the second pic( brick) with the first( granite)?? What does the walkway have to do with it all?

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:31AM
61tinkerbell

Christopher, yes, they covered the original (photo #2) with the granite in photo #1. The original limestone is damaged by the granite they installed, so I need to reface it. The walk-way has to do with decorating.. you know, joining the outside with the in - making it cohesive, if you will. That actually what they also did back in 1937.. the walkways was the old limestone.

Chimney inspector is coming Friday.. so I'll know more than!

I also stripped the brick in one of the other fireplaces... came out better than I thought! From Sunrise - work in progress

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 6:20AM
jlc102482

Very cool, I love the look of the original fireplace!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 11:37AM
Billl

"Should we try and reface the limestone with the same type of brick? Stone, or something else? Any thoughts or ideas will help! "

Personally, I think you should restore it with a similar limestone. You often don't get such a clear display of what a home looked like originally, so I would take that and run with it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 11:59AM
61tinkerbell

bill, yikes.. maybe we should have thought more on restoring it, and unfortunately - the contractors smashed and removed the hearth! That is now gone!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 5:34PM
lavender_lass

Tinker- If the limestone had been in better shape and you still had the hearth, I could see tying it in with the walk. Now, I'd either do the brick (to match the other fireplace) or pick another finish that will look good with your room. What style do you like and what are you trying to do with the home? Are you thinking more cottage/casual or something more traditional and a little more elegant? Here's you chance to do what YOU want with the fireplace, so enjoy it :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 6:19PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

The walk-way has to do with decorating.. you know, joining the outside with the in - making it cohesive, if you will. That actually what they also did back in 1937.. the walkways was the old limestone.

Got it. My home is the same way.Limestone walkways match the exterior, unfortunatly they did not bring it in to the fireplace, they put a piece of ugly white marble there instead.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 5:32AM
More Discussions
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Patio Fireplace Vinyl Cover
$14.99 | zulily
Ghost Bioethanol Fireplace
FRONTGATE
Real Flame 'Brighton' White Electric Fireplace
Overstock.com
34-inch Fireplace
Overstock.com
Napoleon Prestige 450 and 500 Cover - 63171
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Personalized Fireplace Grate
Grandin Road
California Outdoor Concepts LaCosta Del Rio 54 x 28 in. Rectangle Fire Pit Table
Hayneedle
Rooster Hand-Hooked Wool Hearth Rug
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™