Neo-Mansard update

cbhillwoodAugust 29, 2013

Hello! We're interested in purchasing this house; however, we're both not huge fans of the outside of this 1970s Neo-Mansard style home. What can be done to improve the looks of the outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Roof is too dark to suit me, should be more neutral or at least in beige/brown tones, would shutters on sides of 2 downstairs windows help maybe with dark trim to match roof but might be too much. Is it really charcoal roof or is it photo? Looks like landscaping is 1 bush and
grass, maybe look could be softened with plants.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:33AM
Fori is not pleased

Trees! Tall evergreens.

And it almost needs ivy, although I wouldn't recommend anyone actually planting ivy, but a climber of some sort (on a trellis perhaps) would be so very suitable.

It's not a BAD '70s Mansard roofed house. It's just lonely. You need to downplay the driveway side and dress up the windowed side which is actually kind of cool. The garage door should be painted a more blendy color and the front door should be more "welcome to my glamorous home"ey.

I'd visit the landscaping forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/design/

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:40PM
palimpsest

If the roof needs replacing, a standing seam metal roof seems a bit more common an option on mansard than other roofs, in my area.

I think landscaping would help a lot.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:23PM
chibimimi

I think painting the siding around the windows and above the garage door in a softer color closer to the brick color would help, too. And maybe changing the garage doors -- those "windows" look a little too much like the NBC peacock. The front door could use a good strong color to emphasize it.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 9:47PM
egbar

just needs curb appeal.. so much could be done to emphasize the entry and draw attention to those cool windows... it has lots of nice details, just needs dressed to impress... I think i'd change the garage doors to echo the windows, maybe. Photo taken from that angle gives most emphasis to the garage... landscaping would still draw the eye to the more interesting features... don't cross it off unless you absolutely hate the look of it, it is a gem that just needs a little trim and some polish. If you do buy it I would love to see what you do with it!

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™