'...evidence that we lived'

alisandeSeptember 14, 2005

I'm still working on my files. In fact, I think I'll be filing for the next eight months or so, with a quick break for Christmas. :-)

I read and tried to implement the advice about choosing broad categories for our files. Even so, I have a substantial pile of papers that don't fit in any category. I can only conclude what I've known all along: I save way too much stuff.

I know why I do it. My mother died suddenly when I was nine, and well-meaning relatives left me almost nothing of hers. My most treasured possession was her diary, but even that contained only a handful of entries.

So I save all my journals, and most of my letters, and letters others have written me, and clips of my publications, and on and on...the things I once described in a poem as evidence that we lived. I think my vision is that when I'm gone I will have left behind a great deal of myself for my children to read. The fact is, it will probably add up to more than anyone would want to read. Still, I file on...

Anyone else saving more than you should?

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I definitely saved nore than I should: at least five journals, cuttings of news articles, comics, poetry,etc that I liked, EVERY paper my daughter brought home from nursery school thru grade 3 (stashed in portfolios and stuffed under my bedroom dresser, photos of my gardens covering the last 8 years (meant for a scrapbook that was never begun), all my clothing since high school (when I had a twenty inch waist). WHY do I keep all this stuff? Some might make good nostalgic hand-me-downs, last week my daughter went to a costume party and wore some of my 60"s clothes. But I think you hit the nail on the head: I want proof of my life, to leave behind a legacy. I know its sick,sick,sick. My MIL died in January and we had a devil of a time cleaning out her house. Example-She saved her heating bills back to 1955-what was she expecting, a rebate? I don't want my kids put through that. And my husband absolutely HATES all my stuff. I found a photo of my daughter from girls softball age 6. He barely looked at it, said "cute" and went back to looking at TV. No body cares!!!

Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
Designing a home office! What would you include?
We are gutting our home office .... creating a his...
Becky Berend
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™