Lock and Lock Food Storage Containers

motherhubbardSeptember 12, 2007

Checking to see if others in forum use these and how you like them. Where is the best source to purchase?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesr4me

I am sold on these - so much I gave away my tupperware and other assorted storage containers.

I bought a set of them at JC Penny's on sale for 50% off. I have also picked them up at the local Big Lots (best price).

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 11:13AM
pegtn

I also love my lock and lock. I have one that i always take camping,and even if the ice melts in the cooler, my lock and lock never leaks.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 1:50PM
motherhubbard

Thanks Rosesr4me. My JC Penny doesn't carry them but I will try Big Lots when I go to town tomorrow.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 2:58PM
rosesr4me

I also saw them at my local grocer (Publix) as well as in Walmart and Target. Big Lots did have the best price, however, it is always a hit or miss with BL - they receive items as they come available - they don't regularly stock a certain item.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 12:02PM
talley_sue_nyc

here's a link to one place these are sold, so you can see what they look like.

this set comes in colors!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Lock & Lock food containers

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 2:27PM
happygram

These look great. Do these stack well?
Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 4:02AM
rosesr4me

Yes, they stack well. They also have round shapes, but I find the square/rectangles are more space efficient.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 6:19PM
bud_wi

These do not nest for storage right? That's my biggest pet peeve trying to store the dang things when they are not being used.

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 7:02AM
talley_sue_nyc

"nesting well" is my number-one requirement for leftovers containers. That's why I now use the disposable ones, bcs they are the only ones I've found that nest so tightly.

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 10:26AM
marie26

People on another forum were saying that these work well for keeping fruits and vegetables fresher longer. Can anyone tell me how well they work for this purpose. Has anyone stored mushrooms in them and if so, did you store them in the fridge or on the counter? How long did the mushrooms stay fresh?

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 11:43PM
claire_de_luna

Marie, I don't know about mushrooms since we don't eat them, but I posted a picture of my veggie Lock and Lock that I started preparing once a week. Everything stays fresh until it's gone, and I've made salad from lettuce two weeks old that I had stored in the Lock and Lock, which kept it perfectly crisp. You can see my box in the Lunchmaking thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Lock and Lock

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 3:13AM
marie26

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Lock and Lock. I assume you keep the containers anywhere in the fridge. That would open up the veggies drawer for other items such as condiments that others here are doing. It's sounding beter all the time.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 7:39PM
marie26

More questions. Do you wash the vegetables before you put them into the Lock & Lock?

Do you store fruit in them?

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 10:05PM
claire_de_luna

Yes, I wash and cut them, often several different ways, depending on how I want to use them.

Yes, fruit too! In fact I have some frozen fruits that I like to put into the L&L, to thaw overnight in the fridge. It's just a storage container, as fruit doesn't last long around here.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 11:12PM
marie26

Claire de Luna, thank you for responding so quickly. I saw a set at the local BB&Y for almost $40.00. I think I'm going to purchase the pieces separately. I'm in Canada and we don't have a Big Lots here nor a Target. These are 2 stores that I miss terribly.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 1:33AM
marie26

I wish I'd remember all my questions at the same time but here's another one. Must the washed fruits and vegetables be completely dry before putting them into the Lock & Lock?

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 9:19PM
claire_de_luna

Yes, because it's so good at locking in moisture. I always give my washed lettuce a spin in the salad spinner before it goes into the L&L, and air dry other things. FYI, I cut yellow, red and orange peppers almost a week ago into small pieces for stir frying which I did this evening. They were still perfectly fresh. I love that stuff!

Also, I like the pieces I bought from QVC; I've also acquired the egg cartons from Heritage Mint, and bought some glasslock at Bed Bed & Beyond. (Our Oriental Market also has glasslock so I could get it there.) I use the glasslock for reheating some foods, minus the lid, and will put that into lunch boxes so they can go into the microwave.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 11:07PM
marie26

Claire, I'd never heard of Glasslock. If the only reason I'm purchasing these are for fruit and vegetable storage, would you recommend the L&L or the Glasslock?

For everyday storage, I love my Smart Spin. It is so compact and out of the way on a shelf in the kitchen cabinet.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 11:36PM
claire_de_luna

I just use regular L&L for fruits/veggies. The reason I bought the Glass&Lock is so I can send lunches to be microwaved with my husband. I've never felt comfortable microwaving plastics, and this is the one place where I try to use glass instead. The glass is a little heavier, and I don't feel I need it just for storage.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 8:11PM
marie26

Thank you again, Claire, for the feedback. I have a Lotus Sanitizer and I wash my fruits and vegetables in there. I hadn't put them away competely dry which I think explains why they didn't last as long as they should have using this system. So, now I'll make sure they're completely dry and buy the L&L to store them in. I've thrown out so much produce lately and it's such a waste of good money.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Meet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
I don't think I've ever seen that happen on this particular...
claire_de_luna
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Sponsored Products
Medium 6 ft. Premier Micro Suede Fuf Foam Bean Bag Sofa - 0000078L
$289.98 | Hayneedle
Virtu USA Bathroom Khaleesi 60 in. Double Vanity in Espresso with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Santa Cookie Jar - MULTI COLORS
$29.90 | Horchow
Wild About Books´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Langua
$255.95 | Bellacor
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Metallic Recessed Dimmable Compact
Home Depot
Bayfield Large Spindle Birdfeeder
Fifthroom.com
Three Birds Canterbury Round Occasional Outdoor Tables - CT36
$251.00 | Hayneedle
16 Ga Sink Strainer Grid Cutting Board
PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™