Does your neighborhood have an association?

happycthulhuAugust 6, 2008

Our historic district is trying to revive the Association.

We are trying to save our historic firehouse from being shut down and consolidated with a firehouse about 3 miles from our neighborhood.

That's just one thing that they want to work on.

Keeping McMansions out and making our township wet again are a couple of other things.

We haven't had a meeting yet, but we just had a meet and greet last night and it was great.

Lot's of people and good food.

I even got to slide down the fire pole. WEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :P

If you have an association, what kinds of things do you work on for the sake of the neighborhood.

Do you have a set of rules? (if so, could you provide some examples for me?)

Have you been successful?

Any internal conflicts?

I want to help make this something good, not just another do nothing follow the rules group.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcin_los_angeles

At the very local level there are many Block Clubs in our area, and there's a larger Historic Preservation group and also the Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ). My husband is the current president of our particular Block Club. It involves an area about 9 blocks square, and tends to focus on safety, crime, restoration and beautification issues with a lot of socializing mixed in. We are a non-profit organization. The website DH created for it actually includes a lot of information about the larger area.

The HPOZ includes an area about 3 times the size of the block club, and focuses exclusively on individual building's restorations/remodelings. Here's its part of the general city website: http://www.preservation.lacity.org/hpoz/la/adams-normandie

The local Historic Preservation group, the West Adams Heritage Association, is a much bigger organization, with hundreds of members. It's been active since its founding 25 years ago in saving many historic buildings, creating a network of people who live here, it has a great newsletter, it pressures the city when necessary, etc. It also is a non profit. It hosts large tours 3 times a year. I was on the Board of Directors for about 6 years.

http://www.westadamsheritage.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 (My husband also created this website.)

All 3 groups have by laws and rules, but aren't dehumanized by them. And sure, there have been internal conflicts, some pretty messy. You can't have any group of humans without some conflict! But our need for what these groups accomplish is great enough to be able to overcome just about anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Block Club

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
lucy132
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Sponsored Products
Orleans Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Kichler Wilton Traditional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Roddy Leather Sofa - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Jiffy J-2000 Beige Garment Steamer (New)
Overstock.com
Gray Zig Zag Drum Lamp Shade 16x16x11 (Spider)
$19.98 | Lamps Plus
Pink Daisy Reversible Blanket
$34.99 | zulily
Carnation Home Fashions Solar Fabric Shower Curtain - FSC-SOL
$14.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™