Pre made straight stairs 24 years old/carpeting/urine

jones60August 3, 2009

I have two sets of stairs and a landing. Stairs are 6 then landing then 6 or so more. My cat has peed on the carpeting which was a continuation of carpeting for the upstairs. But that was pulled up.. I need to pull the stair carpeting up and put something there on a temporary basis. Actually the stairs underneath look pretty nice. Can I stain them a waterbase color just to seal it and tack on a cheap runner. Is staining okay to do for now then If I get wood floors installed someday the stairs would be done to. So looking for a cheap fix for now after a pull the smelly carpeting up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

If the stairs were previously varnished under the carpet, maybe you can just clean the smell off with a strong detergent. If unfinished, I think a sealer is needed to cover the absorbed smells. Shellac is really great a sealing odors, and is more easily removed than varnish or poly, or stain for that matter. You may want to paint the verticals (risers) and stain the treads, that's a classic look, then add the runner.
Casey

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 7:11PM
jones60

Sounds good, What sheen of white paint should I use?

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 7:58AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Sheen; match whatever the other trim in the vicinity is wearing. Semi-gloss is the standard.
Casey

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:05PM
jones60

Just a thought what about DURA seal water based stain Can that be used?? If hardwood floor stair treads were to be installed at a later date. I doubt it would make a difference what I use. I'm putting this I assume on Pine, or whatever they made prefab stairs in 23 years ago? Thanks

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™