Finding a stud in an old house

DiivvaAugust 6, 2014

We just moved into a house that is 133 years old and I am trying to hang a pegboard in my office but I can't seem to find a stud. My stud finder continuously says there's electrical behind the wall. The room is on the second floor and I don't know if it was original or added on later . Any advice as to how to hang something without drilling into electrical wiring etc.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Your stud finder is not set up to deal with plaster and lathe - it's totally confused and babbling. Try a different stud finder.

Or use adhesive hooks like "Command" hooks

Also, look for a thin molding a few inches below the ceiling - if you have it, it's called "picture molding" and you can hang things from it with "picture molding hooks" and not make any holes in the walls ar all.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:05PM
Trebruchet

Using a hammer, tap on the walls with the same consistency. You should be able to hear the stud locations. When you get close, use a 1/16" inch bit to confirm. The holes you make are easily filled.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:53PM
renovator8

The old style magnetic stud finders take more effort but can find the nails in the lath when the electric ones are confused by the density of the plaster and lath.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:39PM
jonnyp

Use your fist. You will hear the difference.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:34PM
mxyplx

Pound a thin nail in every 1/2 inch all across the entire room. I did that at our old house and found all the studs - both of em.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 11:43PM
akamainegrower

To follow up on mxyplx's comment, it is not at all uncommon to find "unusual" stud spacings in really old houses. My own house, the oldest portion of which was built circa 1810, has corner posts and "studs' around the window openings only. This leads to areas close to three and a half feet wide without any vertical framing at all. Since the corner posts are at least a full 6 x 6 inches and the window framing 4 x 4 with 1.5 inch boarding boards on the outside and 1 inch lathing on the interior, it's probably at least as strong as more conventional framing.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™