Question about Jelly?

lakemayorSeptember 18, 2012

I was preparing a batch of Habanero Gold Jelly when I discovered I am out of Certo liquid pectin. Can I use Sure Jell fruit pectin as a substitute?

I have made two batches using Certo and they turned out perfect. I'm afraid to substitute unless I hear from the CF experts.

Thanks - Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

I just got back and answered your email, but I'll post here too.
Recipes that are formulated for use with liquid pectin like Certo are not formulated for powdered pectin like Sure Jell, they are not interchangeable products.

Will it work? Maybe, but most likely not. Of course, if it doesn't set it makes great glaze for grilled chicken.....

Annie

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:31PM
lakemayor

Thanks Annie, I thought maybe your were gone. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the store tomorrow.

Karen

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:49PM
mustangs81

Karen, I'm glad Annie chimed in 'cause you don't want to ruin the best jelly there is! I have bought numerous pepper jellies over the years and fine none better than Annie's recipe for Habanero Gold Jelly. My favorite breakfast is bagel with cream cheese and HGJ.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:58PM
annie1992

Cathy, I'm glad you like it. I'm a heat wuss but something about the sweet and hot in that jelly makes a bagel with cream cheese perfect for breakfast. Even I can eat it.

That recipe came from the Bernardin website, so I guess I owe that Grand Champion ribbon I got at this year's fair to Canada!

Annie

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 11:01PM
annie1992

So, Karen, how did the jelly turn out? My habaneros did very well this year, I've already made a dozen jars of jelly and some hot sauce.

Annie

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 10:25AM
lakemayor

Sorry for not answering Annie. I just didn't see your post. It turned out really well. I have canned about 24 jars. Two didn't seal. Can I put them back in a HWB?

Also Annie, you shared your recipe for the hot sauce made with Habanero peppers and I can't find it. Would you share again or would someone else please share it if they have it.

Karen

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:59AM
annie1992

Karen, the hot sauce recipe is on the other thread you posted.

Sure, you can add new lids and reprocess the jelly, but the "rules" say within 24 hours. I usually keep an eye on the jars when I take them out of the canner. If they haven't sealed within a hour, I reprocess them right then. I might "waste" a lid by reprocessing something that might have sealed, but I'd rather do that and not have to worry about using up a jar immediately.

Happy Canning.

Annie

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Awesome Shortbread with Caramel and Dark Chocolate
I have picked up so many great recipes from this forum...
dancingqueengw
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - After Eight Light Gold Contemporary Flare Arm...
Great Furniture Deal
Moooi | Heracleum II Pendant Light
YLighting
Texas A&M Aggies 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Double Pedestal Rectangular Dining Table in...
Great Furniture Deal
LifeSpan TR3000i Folding Treadmill - TR3000I
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - After Eight Sideboard in Titanium - 19007-16
Great Furniture Deal
Ole Miss Rebels 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
Nelson | Lantern Lamp
$285.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™