Why do things stick in my skillet?

schoolhouse_gwFebruary 1, 2013

I've had a Farberware stainless steel skillet for years, ever since I went out on my own and set up housekeeping. Does anyone else have a problem with certain foods sticking? for example fried potatoes? fried eggs? breaded meats (like chops or shoulder),ect? I use plenty of oil, no extreme heat. Anyone have some tips to share? I'm trying to recall if I had these problems in the very beginning but can't. Maybe the skillet needs seasoning somehow but with stainless I didn't think so.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

No, you don't season stainless steel. I have trouble with fried potatoes sticking too.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:46PM
azzalea

I've had Farberware for over 35 years. It doesn't stick if you use it correctly.

Get it good and hot, THEN and only then, add your oil (if you want a butter flavor in what you're frying, put in a little oil first, then some butter, to raise the smoking temp of the butter). Then add your food. I cook potatoes in mine all the time and they never stick. Always remember Jeff Smith's words, "Hot pan, Cold oil, food won't stick".

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:50PM
tami_ohio

And don't try to turn the items too soon. They will release on their own when it is time to turn them.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:31PM
carol_in_california

I remember Jeff Smith saying those words....works for me.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:43PM
JoAnn_Fla

Don't try one of those Orgreenic pans, they really stick!
No non stick secrets from me, I just use Teflon and a spray.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:45PM
schoolhouse_gw

Never heard that saying from Jeff Smith. Thanks! I knew it had to be something like that. Yep, I get anxious and turn before items have a chance to brown real good too. My bad.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:26PM
bigack

I've got the "green" skillet, and love it!!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:31PM
tami_ohio

When I bought my Health Craft cookware, I was told to get it hot, put the food in, and let it alone until it released on it's on. Then it was ready to be turned over. On the other hand, I still can not make scrambled eggs in stainless steel skillets.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:49PM
breenthumb

I've been using non-stick pans instead of my good SS waterless cookware for so long, I've forgotten how to fry in SS. Thanks for the refresher.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:37PM
Jamie_LA

I have one of those green skillets, GUARANTEED not to stick. Well, guess what? hahaha

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:54PM
nanaofmany08

i have the green frying pan and i love it also

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:37PM
nanaofmany08

i have the green frying pan and i love it also

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:38PM
ntt_hou

PREHEAT, PREHEAT, PREHEAT....

Turn on the heat to medium and preheat your SS, tri-ply or any multiple ply cookware. Do not add oil, food or anything until the pot/pan has been preheated.

Read and watch the video on the link below for detail instructionl.

I even do sunny-side up eggs with no problem with sticking on my tri-ply pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to properly heat a pan

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:41PM
OklaMoni

I got rid of all my non stick cookware. Don't miss it at all. I do just like Azzalea says. :)

Moni

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 8:06AM
jannie

DH bought me one of those "Ogreenic" skillets. It works great! Cleans up great,too!

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 8:30AM
marilyn_c

I agree with Azzalea. If you don't cook at high enough temperature, the breading will come off, for example. Also, you end up "boiling" your food in oil...juices leach out...if you don't use a high enough temperature. I don't use any "non stick" cookware. Cast iron..but I also use stainless electric fry skillets a lot now since my kitchen isn't finished.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 9:38AM
JoAnn_Fla

Someone help me with these green pans. I tried to cook a egg this morning and it stuck so bad. The pan is not old and hasn't been used much........ I hate it!
This is my second one, I returned the first one thinking I got a lemon.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:11AM
bee0hio

Ntt__hou, that is a GREAT video! Thank you SO much. I've been cooking for 5+ decades & never knew that simple test for when to add the oil/food to the pan!

I hope EVERYONE watches the video!!

Thanks Schoolhouse for asking the question!

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:24AM
gadgets

Thanks for the video link. I've bookmarked it to try.

Shirley

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:53AM
joyfulguy

Hi again schoolmarm,

Maybe some rascal told your pan that it was one of the high-end kind ...

... and it got stuck-up!

o j

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:52PM
ntt_hou

I'm glad you found the video useful. I was told that preheating SS is among the first lessons in culinary school.

Once I've done it a few times, by placing my hand hovering over the pan, I know when the pan is ready to be coated with oil. Just a light coat of oil should be sufficient enough.

My other alternative pans are also cast ironed. Yes, they're a bit heavy but they're among the best and healthiest cookware to use. Not to mention, they're inexpensive too.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:32PM
schoolhouse_gw

Yes, that video was very informant. Who knew? Thanks. Like ntt hou, I use my old heavy cast iron skillets most of the time; but my stainless steel one has a nice lid so I use it sometimes.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:47PM
taigen_gw

Agree with all the others....great video to watch. Thanks :)

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:07PM
ntt_hou

Since we're discussing about SS pots & pans....

If you own SS pots & pans, I hope you have a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning them.

It cleans your SS pots & pans so well that they look new. Just dab a little and scrub it with a Dobie cleaning pad or similar. It costs much less than many SS cleaners. I use the powder bottle that resembles the Comet except it's yellow. It's less the $3 at Walmart in the cleaning product isle.

I once brought my knives to cut up boxes and boxed of bananas for a community activity. By the time I got home, the knives had stained. I simply used BKF to clean off the stain. They looked as if never had happened. Basically, BKF works on all SS products, even on SS kitchen sinks.

Warning: If you have granite countertops, be careful not to get on its surface. BKF is acidic and can ruin granite or any stone surface. If it gets on it, wipe off immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar Keepers Friend

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:24PM
Cynic

Learned the water trick years ago. Decades actually. It was used to tell when it's ready to make pancakes and I guess some of those old shows did teach a lot of stuff and little tricks.

I also remember the Frugal Gourmet. Used to watch it before his, shall we say, cookie crumbled. Heard the phrase only a couple times on there. The first time he was talking about walking down the street and supposedly someone hung their head out of the bus and yelled HOT WOK, COLD OIL, FOOD WON'T STICK!

With potatoes, I question whether the starch in them is a culprit on some of the sticking. That is like glue at times. FWIW, many people WANT some foods to stick to get "fond" that they're so fond of...

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 4:41PM
joyfulguy

'Twas good of you all to wok us through the explanation of what to do.

o j

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:09PM
lisa_fla

Very interesting. I have had trouble with breading coming off meat. Will try for sure!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:26PM
angelaid

Tried this last night and it worked like a charm! Best fried taters I've ever made! Can't believe it took me 50 years to learn/hear "Hot pan, Cold oil, food won't stick"

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 12:15PM
donna_loomis

ntt_hou, I'm another poster who is thankful for that video. I tried it last weekend with pork steaks and it worked like a charm. So many recipes tell us to put oil in the pan, THEN heat. I was blind, but now I see. Thanks again.

Once the water was dancing, I made DH come into the kitchen to be a witness, LOL. Since he does most of the cooking, I wanted him to see it too. He was sufficiently impressed as well.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:40PM
jasdip

I've never seen BarKeeper's friend sold in Canada, until our local Home Hardware advertised it on sale a year ago. The powder.

Having picked up some skillets from Freecycle that were in dire need of cleaning, I put the BK to work. It's fantastic on stainless!

Until it was cleaned I had no idea there was a band of copper!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:43PM
ntt_hou

I keep 3 or 4 bottles of Bar Keepers Friend as a back-up. I've been accused by my family for overspending on a cookware that I haven't been using. It was a set of Calphalon tri-ply that I paid 1/3 of its regular price using discount & coupon. So, I didn't pay nearly as much as they thought. Without, saying much, I showed them a bottle of BKF and showed how it worked. LOL, next thing I knew, it was gone. That's why I keep back-ups :)

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
My perennials might be in trouble!
Was out checking for winter damage in my yard, and...
prairie_rose
Have You Found Any Bargains Lately?
Have you found any bargains lately? I needed a gallon...
marilyn_sue
Drapes, 84 or 98?
Do you prefer your drapes hung near the ceiling (98)...
lucillle
My mother in law passed yesterday
Bless her heart, she fell and her head hit the wall...
PKponder TX
The REAL Friday/Weekend Quiz
Wow, I didn't even notice till this morning that I...
Jasdip
Sponsored Products
Red New Traditions Speckled Aluminum 12.5'' Covered Skillet
$36.99 | zulily
Arosa 12-Piece Cookware Set
$269.99 | zulily
Nonstick Four-Egg Poacher
$7.99 | zulily
Red 12'' Open Skillet
$32.99 | zulily
Gray Hard-Anodized Nonstick 12'' Skillet
$29.99 | zulily