Clawfoot tub weight question

gail_ishAugust 1, 2007

Hi all,

I also posted this on the bathroom forum, but after I thought since IÂm dealing with an old house, IÂd get different insight.

We moved into a 150 year old log house that we are redoing. When we moved, I brought with us an old clawfoot tub. We are putting in a bathroom upstairs (thereÂs only one on the main floor now), but my husband is worried about the weight of the tub + water + people on the floor. The trusses look to be about 3"x8". (IÂm not at home, so I canÂt double check). It is very heavy  when we bought it, part of the deal was that we move it out of the basement where they had it  it took hubby & 2 friends.

My question is: how do we figure out if the floor can handle that weight or not? Is the only way to hire a structural engineer for a consultation?

Many thanks,

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prettyphysicslady

Probably - we had a 100 y ear old home with a heavy claw foot tub on the second floor I made good use of. We also parked a waterbed king-size on the second floor and a library.

City Hall Building Permit Office probably can put you in touch with an inspector who will do the calculation for you or give you the name of an engineer who will do it.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™