can I pile boxes on a piece of marble?

SusanCFAugust 19, 2011

A neighbor who is moving gave us a small round marble tabletop from her garden, which we plan to use after we remodel. My husband set the piece of marble on a shelf in the garage. Space is at a premium as we are storing everything we can in there, so would it be all right to pile boxes on top of the marble, or is it likely to crack if there is heavy weight on top of it? If I can't pile things on top of the marble, would it be okay to store it on its side? It takes up a lot of room lying there flat with nothing on it.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

I think whether you can stack stuff on it probably depends upon how thick the marble is and how it is formed. If it is laying flat and the whole bottom of the marble is touching the shelf, then I would assume it is ok to stack some stuff on it. If there is a lip or something on the edges so that the inside of the botton surface of the marble is not touching a shelving surface, then I wouldn't stack stuff on it.

As far as storing it on its side, will it be stable in the upright position so it doesn't fall over? If so, I would assume it would be ok. Marble slabs for countertops are stored on their side in the warehouse before you buy them.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I agree, turn it on its' side. I wouldn't store anything on top.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™