Sources of historic mouldings

karinlAugust 21, 2011

After 20 years of obsessing about preserving every last splinter of original woodwork in our house, I recently discovered that there is a millwork shop in my area that specializes in heritage mouldings, still offering all the wood profiles to be found in our house. Hallelujah! I still wouldn't throw my old stuff away, but discovering this place has allowed us to do projects for which we don't have original moulding to a much better standard.

Some other recent posts illustrate that all over the country, we are trying to match and replace old wood trim, and that the sources aren't so easy to find, but they're out there. So I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread in which sources are listed?

So my big find is Tanex Industries Moulding and Millwork in New Westminster, BC, Canada.

Some specifics that may be the same or different at other shops:

Their mouldings are scaled down just slightly from the originals due to modern lumber dimensions, but the profiles are accurate. And like most millwork shops, they do custom work as well. They work in both fir and MDF. And finally, not everything is in stock all the time; as others have mentioned here, there is a minimum order size or set-up charge if you need something that is not in stock.

KarinL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldhousegal

My source in Portland, OR is McCoy Millwork. Everything I've ever needed for historically accurate moldings for my home. I don't know if they do custom work because I've always found what I needed at their store and online catalog, and you can choose from a number of different woods to fit your budget and style.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 11:31PM
kimkitchy

Stark Lumber, Denver, CO.
Also, vintagewoodworks.com
We've used both of these companies with great suceess for our 1913 bungalow.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 2:36PM
brickeyee

I have a lumber yard that has been in business since before 1861.

A good lumber yard can run just about any molding you want, the problem is usually the knife setup charge.

You can also create them on a router table yourself, though it may take multiple passes and some other tricks (like a tilting setup for the router).

While I attempt to preserve and re-use old moldings, the labor in this needs to be weighed against the cost of making and using matching new material.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Sponsored Products
Hydro Systems Sydney 6034 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Lite Source Aida Chrome Metal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting 18.25H in. King Philip Crown - 51-0099
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Gold Alzak Recessed Reflector Trim
$45.54 | Home Depot
Concrete Chic Round Dining Table
Overstock.com