Cabinetry for small pantry

sf7307August 5, 2013

In our new apartment, we will have a pantry, but it's not very big - about 55" front to back, 72+" long and a low ceiling (76"). I'd like to store all rarely used items in there - including cookie sheets, Le Creusets, appliances like the mixer (which I use maybe twice a year), as well as extra food and supplies (paper towels and the like).

We haven't figured out yet what kind of door we'll install (about 2' of the front wall would be behind some stairs, so a sliding door wouldn't expose the entirety of the pantry), but we're open to suggestions.

I'm thinking of 10" deep shelves on the front wall, 24" deep shelves on the "turn" (the short wall), and maybe 15" shelves on the back wall.

I'd love your comments/suggestions. (p.s. I haven't been on here in a long time, but I designed my previous kitchen with all of your help and it was fantastic - but we've moved to an apartment and I'd like to create this pantry "out" of the kitchen, but nearby).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandmamary_ga

I have a stand alone type of cabinetry In my kitchen.
It does not house my small appliances but mostly canned foods, cake mixes, canisters etc. It is painted to match my cabinets. It is very useful in my small kitchen and we use it every single day. It is very handy. It is tall about 6 feet and width I would say is 32 inches, We had it made by a local store. I do wish I could put smaller appliances in it. But we need the food storage space. I have it against an out of the way spot. But is handy to get too. Mine also has doors that you can not see through. Rather plain but nice looking.
Mary

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 9:25AM
talley_sue_nyc

This is an apartment--do you own it? Or are you otherwise able to do lots of structural stuff to it?

Or, as with many apartments, will you be required to fit your solutions in without modifying the existing infrastructure?

Can you make the slanted area under the stairs be pullouts like this (and then have the more rectangular part be a more conventional treatment:

Or, put a jagged door on the space:

Or, this is nice--pullouts in an understair pantry. You might use something like this to help you access stuff under the stairs AFTER you step into the little pantry room.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/682839/Kitchen-pantry-built-in-under-the-stair--with-with-pullout-shelves---kitchen-seattle

Kitchen by Seattle Architects & Designers Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects

These people put a huge roll-out unit in a closet, so that the entire closet is accessible.

And this is similar, except that the pullouts are individual instead of a unit. (in fact, the person whose pic this is ditched a single-piece pullout because it wasn't easy enough to use. But you can get them custom-made as deep as you like (though, wait a minute--extra-deep drawer slides aren't necessarily cheap or easy to get--28" w/ an extra 1" overtravel, so a 29" drawer for full-extension, is the affordable version, and 36" is very expensive ).

They've got the full how-to.
http://doordiy.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/extended-shelf-life/

Another example:

These folks took the wall and sank several pantry pullouts (and a closet) into it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 10:47PM
lazy_gardens

Can you post a picture? And a floorplan?

Having turntables in the corners might give you maximum storage. Dead corners are useless.

24" deep shelves? What needs shelves that deep?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry with Lazy susans

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 9:00AM
sjhockeyfan325

Thanks all. We do own the apartment, but I should clarify - the stairs are just 4 steps up from the hall to the main level. I'll post a picture over the weekend.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
Designing a home office! What would you include?
We are gutting our home office .... creating a his...
Becky Berend
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
Meet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
I don't think I've ever seen that happen on this particular...
claire_de_luna
Sponsored Products
MasterBath Bath Organizers Elite Shaker 24 in. W Bath Storage Cabinet in
Home Depot
1-1/4-inch Round Circular Design Satin Nickel Cabinet/ Drawer Knobs Handles (Pac
Overstock.com
Chrome 22'' Expandable Pull-Out Shelf
$34.99 | zulily
Organized Living 12-can Nickel Beverage Dispenser
Overstock.com
Afina Vanderbilt Medium Triple Door Surface Mount Royale Medicine Cabinet - 42W
Hayneedle
Rite Lite 12 LED Wireless or Wired "Track" Light, White LPL704W-AC
$24.59 | Home Depot
Austin White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Modern Flat TV Composition 7D