Brass 'dust-busters' on the stairs?

alisonAugust 18, 2009

I'm still in tthe honeymoon phase with my 1900 brick 3-story, which seems to be in astonishingly good shape, considering I'm the 13th owner.

When I first looked at the house I noticed these curved triangular brass pieces nailed in the corners of the first floor stairs. The first flight of the first floor staircase has them in both corners of all the steps, the second flight is missing most of them.

I'm assuming these are some sort of amazing labour-saving device for the mod turn-of-the-century housekeeper, to prevent dust from accumulating in the corners of the steps.

Does anyone know what they're called?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

D'oh! Forgot to post the picture!

    Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 1:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes....stair dust corners

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair Dust Corners

    Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 3:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Circus Peanut

Van Dykes has them for a lot less than Rejuvenation, just fyi. $22 or so for 12 corners instead of $5 each.

Here is a link that might be useful: dust corner package of 12 in 3 finishes

    Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Perfect in a home built just before the invention of that ubiquitous modern wonder--the electric vacuum cleaner.

(Wonder whatever happened to the gasoline powered vacuum cleaner?)

    Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Gasoline powered vaccum cleaner? And I think lugging around a full size cleaner is cumbersome!

Thanks for the id and the links. Mine are the simpler, plain brass (altho' I really like the embossed ones). I doubt I'll be replacing the missing ones any time soon (refinishing the steps is pretty far down the to-do list!) but it's cool to know what they are.


    Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The first vacuum cleaners were literally suction bellows with a hose attached. You pumped it with one hand while manipulation the nozzle with the other. another ZOMG moment in the progress of humans.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 7:19PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™