Ant-Proof Kitchen Storage Containers?

AnnaAAugust 7, 2013

Hello All,
The past few years we've seen ants amassing at the border of our home, and this year they've started their assault.

What recommendations do you have for ant-proof food storage, besides a refrigerator and vacuum sealed bags? I've been using oxo POP containers, but have read reviews that these are not ant-proof and I tend to believe that, just looking at the devices.

I do the Refrig, vacuum seal, and glass jars with screw top lids, but would love something uniform and stackable.

Ideas?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

Tupperware Modular Mates keep everything out.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 3:13PM
emma

Any of the plastic food containers should work as long as they have a tight fitting lid. I like square containers instead of round.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:59

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 3:58PM
bspofford

Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the ants?

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 12:56AM
Fori is not pleased

What kind of ants? They can be so different in their habits and capabilities it really helps to know.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 12:02PM
AnnaA

LuAnn, it's funny how some of the originals turn out to still be the best. I've used modular mates for years, then switched to the L&L glass for Refrig food, only to be switching back as the seals on the L&L are hard to keep clean.

Yes, treatment is - & has been - 1st line of defense. They are the little ants, people call sugar ants. Don't know technical term.

Thanks everyone.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 2:16PM
emma

If you see where they are coming just wipe away their scent trail. I had them twice in the same week at my last home and washed the scent trail off. The first time they found another way in and I did the same there. They never came back.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:19PM
ccintx

Use a hand spreader and Bayer Complete Insect Killer granules and spread them around the perimeter of your house. In a week, no more ants.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:47PM
talley_sue_nyc

I don't think I'd go buy whole new kitchen containers--can you just slip a zip-lock plastic bags into each container, and seal those?

My mom was a big fan of this high-potency liquid you would dribble onto little pieces of cardboard. It was high potency, so we all got a big lecture about never touching it, and she found some way to keep the cats away from it. But it worked! That was along time ago, though, and I don't know what it was exactly.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 3:04PM
daybydaybyday

Sugar ants can literally take over a home. You need to get granule ant poison and sprinkle around the entire perimeter of your home.

If yours is a crawlspace foundation, you need to toss in some of the granules into the crawlspace vents.

Empty your pantry, get a can of Bengal Gold, and spray a line of it all around the ceiling, all around the floor, and up every corner. You need to do this inside your cabinets as well. Bengal is the only thing that works, and it stays active for a year or more.

Any air-tight container will work. Walmart has some clear off-brand ones that hold up great.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Getting rid of part of an item- WWYD
Okay, here's the question: I have a larger, aluminum...
quasifish
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™