Is This An Acceptable Way to Insulate Attic?

chipster_2007August 24, 2011

I have an unfinished attic that has several items in it making it impossible at this time to remove the floor boards and add insulation. There presently is some old fiberglass batts that have lost a lot of their loft. Before this heating season begins, could I add some mineral wool to the roof rafters and minimal exposed wall areas for the time being until I can remove flooring(boards) and install the mineral wool there? Do I need to cover this with drywall on the ceiling since this does not burn? If this is acceptable, what would be the best way to attach it to the rafters? When I install this in the floor, would I have to remove the insulation I added to the roof? It will be easier to get this done before winter sets in that to install in floor. Please comment. Sorry, I don't like cellulose for a variety of reasons.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

As a temp measure, you would be better off unrolling the insulation right over the floor boards for the entire attic. You want the insulation as close to your conditioned space as possible. You will want unfaced insulation for this.

When you have time to do it right, just roll the insulation back up and reuse it under the floor boards.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

+1

If you need the area for storage, you can build up a false floor on top of your existing structure to get the proper depth of insulation.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™