New Tin Roof Over Old Tin Roof

davey4000August 10, 2008

I just bought some property with an old log cabin on it. The tin roof leaks and is pretty rusty. Is it possible to cover the old tin with a completely new tin roof or does the old roofing "have" to come off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davey4000

For those who may get technical...metal roof.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 2:26PM
susiethecook

I would think it is ALWAYS better to remove an old roof before installing a new roof.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:11PM
scryn

this has a lot to do with if you can secure the new roof to the roof deck and that has a lot to do with how your house was built.

Some metal roofing MUST be placed directly on top of a solid, smooth, roof material. Others can be installed with an air gap between the old roof and the new metal roof. Wood strips (purlins) are placed over the old roof and attached securely to the roof deck. The new metal roof is then attached to these wood strips.

I think this would be possible for you to do. However, I would think that maybe removing the roof would be worth your while, as you may get some money for it because many metals are very expensive right now and companies are willing to buy and recycle it. Removing a metal roof would be easier than removing an asphalt roof also.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™