Bathroom vs bedroom: storage or sinks?

jamesfjamesfAugust 3, 2012

Hi folks..I recently bought a MA colonial and I'm unusually lost on design ideas. The "master" bed & bath take up the right half of the upstairs, running front to back. The bed is large but has no closet. The bath has all the plumbing on the left- 32" square shower, 18" wide sink, toilet. On the right is wire shelving for clothes. In the middle is a path to the bizarre small deck that hangs off the house in mid air. Completely not a bathroom for 2 people.

The choices I've come down to are, expand the shower (a must) and put 2 sinks on that right wall and get a large freestanding armoire for the bed room, or only have one sink and use the remaining 36" to move walls and build a big closet in the bedroom.

Personally I'd go the armoire route but I do need to keep in mind attractiveness to buyers. This is a family neighborhhod. Are built-in closets that desireable? It would make the room smaller.

The deck:

http://www.groupwbench.org/deck.jpg

thanks,

jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

A photo of the bedroom and bath would be more helpful than a exterior photo of the deck.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 12:57PM
jj4444444

I would have to see it a bit more, but I would say I would want a closet and just one sink. How often do 2 people really need to get ready at the same time and not have a second bathroom to use? As this is a master bath, there is another bath in the house.

I know if I was looking for a house, one sink would not be a deal breaker, but no closet, that would be. I understand you can use something freestanding, but a well thought out closet with more than just a standard bar and shelf seems to be much more useful.

Just my opinion!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:42PM
LuAnn_in_PA

"I know if I was looking for a house, one sink would not be a deal breaker, but no closet, that would be."

I agree!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:36PM
tripletmom83

I vote for the closet too.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:40PM
EngineerChic

We have a similar set up in that our master bed/bath are on one side of the stairs and run front to back. We went with a 36x48" shower and a 36" wide vanity (only 18" deep, though).

Our options were to have a walk in closet that would eliminate the chance to have a window to the backyard or use a wall of wardrobes. We went with the wardrobes. I linked to our results below.

Wardrobes like these may help get you plenty of clothes storage without taking as much space as a full closet (you don't have the 4" thick wall of a closet, just the door thickness of the wardrobe). It's also a way to really maximize storage since there are no dead zones in the cabinetry.

If it would help to see the floor plan for our master bed/bath let me know. Our house is 36' wide and 24' deep with the center stairs about 1' off center (our bedroom is on the smaller half of the upstairs so the other 2 bedrooms could be decent sized).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pax pictures

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:30PM
kellyp123

I vote for closet and one sink. Maybe I am in the minority, but I dislike our two sinks. It is wasted space for us.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 7:31PM
graywings123

In the middle is a path to the bizarre small deck that hangs off the house in mid air.

Could you remove the deck, change the door to a window and make use of the pathway?

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 7:05AM
joann23456

I like that idea, Graywings!

I agree that two sinks isn't a must, but storage is. I would be happy with Pax wardrobes made to look like a part of the room that would then stay with the house. They have such amazing interior fittings.

Curious as to what people think about that. Of course, I live in an old Victorian with closets that aren't even wide enough for standard hangers, so everything hangs a bit askew, and it doesn't bother me.:)

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Sisal Home Decorators Collection Rugs Adirondack
Home Depot
Lime Deluxe Brights Bath Mat - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
Atlantis Tubs 3871BS Breeze 38 x 71 x 24 - Inch Freestanding Soaker Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Three-Light Old World Sconce
$41.00 | Bellacor
Granby Brushed Pewter Four-Light Bath Fixture
$210.00 | Bellacor
Wyndham Collection 'Amare' 24-inch Grey Oak/ White Acrylic Resin Sink Vanity Set
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square Flared Shad
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Square Wenge Faux Leather Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™