Vacation prep

bronwynsmomAugust 9, 2008

We leave for a week's much deserved vacation tomorrow, and as I get packed and ready, I realize how far I have to go to get this house into what my mother calls "dying order."

If anything happens to us, I am leaving a sympathy note and a hand grenade for my heirs!

But, oh, am I ready for this!

So have a lovely week, you-uns, and I'll look forward to catching up when we come home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mustangs81

So it's not just me who has to leave the house in "dying order"! DH doesn't understand this and thinks it's irrational if it in anyway delays departure. The bonus is coming home to a clean house so you can enjoy post-vacation rest.

I hope all goes well for you and your trip is wonderful.

BTW: I have a static "PACK" and "DO" list attached to the door to the garage in one of those magnetic picture holders so I don't have to constantly be concerned if I forgot something. I have one list for road trips and one for air. I do a final check when we walk out the door.

Example:

PACK
 5-Hour Energy
 Audio books
 Camera
 Cell phones & chargers
 Cooler
 GPS
 Laptop
 Meds
 Palm pilot
 Pillow
 Vitamins
DO
 Cats-food, water, litter
 House sitter
 Inform neighbors
 Lock doors
 Stop newspaper
 Turn AC up
 Turn off appliances

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 1:49PM
talley_sue_nyc

My mom always made us pick up and clean before we leave. I thought she was nuts.

But when I got my own place, I realized that it was really depressing to come back in to a home that was disordered--even if it was only a little bit, daily-living out of whack.

My DH thought I was nuts at first, until the first time we jointly went on vacation and came home to an apt. w/ small messes around.

Now he's a big force for cleaning it before we leave--and I try harder to explain to my kids why it's important.

(but of course, "dying order" means, no perishables in the fridge, plants well watered, etc.)

Mustangs, I like that "static list"!

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 2:26PM
jannie

My BIL used to super-clean his house when he went away on vacation. He had hired a neighbor to come in, bring in mail, water plants, etc. He was terrified she would gossip if the house was messy or dirty. He even mopped his kitchen floor. And this is a man! No wonder his wife loves him. MY own DH doesn't give a darn. And he always forgets something when he packs. In 2004, when we cruised Alaska, he forgot to pack underpants and an extra pair of jeans. Thank heaven for the clothing stores on a cruise ship!

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 3:10PM
graywings123

It is similar to hurricane prep. You clean your house when a hurricane is bearing down in your direction so that if you lose the electricity for a few days, you have clean clothes and a clean house.

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 9:43PM
jamie_mt

I don't think my husband cares, but since I always have to have a house sitter for the dogs, I do make sure everything is fairly neat and tidy (maybe not "dying" ready, just neat and organized). That way the house-sitter won't have to work around clutter to make sure the dogs are taken care of, open/shut blinds, etc.

It is nice to come home to a clean house though - I don't travel often, and by the time we get back, I'm ready to hole up like a hermit and spend time with the dogs, instead of cleaning.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 11:24PM
trilobite

I discovered a (probably ridiculously common) packing technique during my last vacation.

Each day I wear a fresh shirt and pair of underwear. (Trousers I rotate). So I wrap each pair of underwear in a shirt and each wrapped "bundle" has all the innerwear I need for that day.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Are there lateral file cabinet organizers?
I have a new lovely two drawer lateral file cabinet...
janeway452
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
Sponsored Products
Woodard Belden Woven Adjustable Chaise Lounge - 5J0470
Hayneedle
Beach going 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - 851996002314
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Couristan Rugs Outdoor Escape Cocoa Beach
Home Depot
Rowenta Compact Steam Iron
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Couristan Rugs Outdoor Escape Pacific Heights
Home Depot