Seaching for Historic u shape floor plan

kled2008August 6, 2012

Hello,

I am searching for a 2 story, u shaped floor plan with an historic feel...on the larger side for our growing family. We prefer the master on maintans would like a motor court in the center of the u. If it helps,we love Lyutens architecture. Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakabedy

There are historic plan books out there (Small Houses of the 1920s, I think, and some others like that). But even the more grand homes of that era and earlier wouldn't have plans that would work for today's family. You'd have small servants' rooms, small closets, few baths, etc. I think you might be best served by developing a "look book" for the exterior look you're wanting, and then have an architect do a plan for you.

Here's a firm local to me that would work in the aesthetic you're wanting:

http://www.krumdieck.com/profile.html

Also, take a look at the website for the Alys Beach development in the Florida panhandle. The architecture is sort of a take on Antiguan/European/Bermudan, but has that Lutyens, English Arts & Crafts look. You could contact them and find out about the architects:

http://www.alysbeach.com/

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 10:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusguy1

You might consider a roman domus type house--they were formed around a central court, often even two. They could even be two or more stories--if the mediterranean style works for you.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™