Is this a kit house?

arlosmomAugust 9, 2010

We were in a sad but beautiful house over the weekend that's currently on the market (a good friend is looking; we're definitely not). They say it was built in 1923 by he current owner's grandfather, so this is the first time it's ever been sold. That amazes me. There are three or four almost identical houses within a couple of blocks of this one (they said two of them were built by the same grandfather), which led me to believe that it might be a kit. I spent a couple of hours yesterday on the internet looking at Sears, Aladin and Gordon Van Tyne info for the years around 1923, but didn't see anything very similar. The two sets of triple windows on the second floor seem very unusual.

Does anybody recognize this house? Or have suggestions for good internet research sites? I'm just really intrigued and curious...thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

Kit houses typically have numbered pieces. If you dig around in the basement or attic you should be able to see the numbers on the exposed wood.
Rosemary Thornton has a good book out about kit houses.
She use to post here occasionally, maybe she'll see this and have more to add.

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 4:00PM
arlosmom

Thanks Carol. I didn't see any sign of numbering on the few beams that I could see. I won't get another chance to dig around either because my friends found the condition of the house to be way more work than they can take on. I hope it gets a good owner -- despite horrible water damage, it has the bones of an amazing house.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 5:01PM
rosemaryt

There isn't an easy answer to this one. Let me pull out my books and do some research and I'll respond to this in a day or two. In short, it's not a design I readily recognize, and I have about 500 designs safely stashed in my head.

If it is a kit house, it's one I haven't seen very often.

I'll respond to this soon. Promise. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Homes info

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 8:55AM
arlosmom

Yea! Rosemary, I'm glad you saw this post. Thanks for taking a look.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™