What to do with lead paint?
(Cross-posted from the Paint forum....)
We recently had the paint in our old house tested and discovered that (not surprisingly) the paint on our trim is very high in lead.
We're now trying to decide what the best course of action is, and I was curious to hear from anyone who has or has had lead paint, and what path they've followed. (We've done all the research and know there are various schools of thought on whether it's better to remove it or let it be....just wondered what people's personal experiences have been!)
We have a 1915 house and we do know our original oak and elm trim was originally bare and has a layer of shellac at the very bottom, so the paint strips very easily dry (something we will not be doing again now that we know there's definitely lead!) Presumably this also means it would strip fairly readily with heat, although that has its own set of concerns wrt the lead. I don't know what implications the shellac has for chemical strippers, though we have a bottle of Soygel I may experiment with.
Broadly, would you (or did you!) simply maintain/repaint the trim so that it's not flaking or strip the woodwork? If you stripped lead paint, what method did you use?
We do not currently have young children in the house, but will in the not-too-distant future---hence the concern. I know any work with the paint needs to be completed well in advance.
Thanks---any and all experiences and stories appreciated!